X-T1, 90mm

This lens is on my radar, Merlin, and has been for a while. I'm torn between it and the 50-140, but already have that focal range covered by my Nikon 70-200 f/4. Interestingly I see that you don't seem to use your 90mm much for portrait work but more for what I'd call general photography. I'm not much of a portrait shooter although I now have a 6-month old granddaughter, so things may change! I've heard you need good light and/or a fast shutter speed to offset the effects of camera shake with this lens. As I suffer from a constant slight tremor (a genetic thing) I've held off committing to the 90. Do you find it an issue?

Real Name
Merlin Emrys
Hi Bluebear, and thanks for commenting. I mainly use auto ISO with minimum shutter speed set to 1/250 with the 90mm, and only occasionally experience softness due to camera shake.

It is a great lens for isolating subjects, especially flowers and portraits, with fine bokeh. It is also excellent for the wide open spaces and vistas here in Northern New Mexico.

I have also used it for indoor available light portraits of my partner and cats. It is very sharp, even wide open.

You might be able to rent one to see if it is viable for your uses. Good luck!

As Merlin points out, this is indeed an excellent lens (and as evidenced by his many scenic posts) and belongs in the bag of any Fuji shooter of landscape (especially one who eschews zooms) portraiture and virtually any capture that requires this focal length.

Real Name
Merlin Emrys
As Merlin points out, this is indeed an excellent lens (and as evidenced by his many scenic posts) and belongs in the bag of any Fuji shooter of landscape (especially one who eschews zooms) portraiture and virtually any capture that requires this focal length.

Thanks, Ariel, and a definite Yes!!!!

Real Name
Merlin Emrys
Real Name
Merlin Emrys
White and Red Rock

XT1F2330_lzn-X3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

XT1F2331_lzn-X3.jpg

XT1F2323_lzn-X3.jpg

XT1F2332_lzn-X3.jpg

XT1F2334_lzn-X3.jpg

XT1F2344_lzn-X3.jpg

XT1F2335_lzn-X3.jpg

Merlin, excellent captures; each is distinct and compliments to both the equipment maker AND the Photographer!!! Have a Happy Thanksgiving, my friend.:)

I especially like the detail in the rock formations in the last capture.

Real Name
Merlin Emrys
Merlin, excellent captures; each is distinct and compliments to both the equipment maker AND the Photographer!!! Have a Happy Thanksgiving, my friend.:)

I especially like the detail in the rock formations in the last capture.

Your kind and encouraging feedback is greatly appreciated, Ariel! And a happy T-Day to you and yours. Take some great photographs!

Latest threads

Top Bottom