X-T1 observations after 3 weeks with only the Fuji kit...

As some of you may be aware, I had a little road trip recently. Texas to Vermont and back, with some side trips for a little sight-seeing along the way. All told, 4956 miles.

I love the concept of smaller, lighter, capable cameras, and the various systems working that niche. I have previously tried the E-M5, the X-100, and the X-Pro1 - other systems' controls or features did not work for me. In the end, these three fell short as well, for various reasons - mostly because of me oddly shaped digits. o_O

The X-T1, so far, has hit "that" spot with regards to size, weight, IQ, and ergonomics - for me. So a few observations now that the newness has worn off. If anyone has some questions, I'll do my best to answer.

Size and weight - my back and shoulder thanks Fuji. :)

IQ - no complaints. I can use the Fuji jpegs OOC with minimal adjustments unless I want to get a bit creative or change something.

AF - only one noticed issue. Twice, the camera focused on something behind the subject. Even though the subject filled the AF box and I had green confirmation of focus. One was a focus and re-compose, the other was a static centered shot. Did not play around much with moving subjects. Most of the birds interesting to shoot were either too far away, or moved much too fast for me to follow with the camera. I did track a small business jet out of Portland airport at 200mm and it appears sharp.

Auto WB - under almost all conditions I shot, it was good. Really good. The exception being the USAF Museum, with multiple types of lighting hitting the same exhibits. The problem was most evident in the reds and oranges. Depending on the amount and type of varying lighting, those colors would be anything from some shade of red, to a blown-out fluorescent pink.

Viewfinder - I am a OVF snob. I love big bright optical viewfinders, and have not been impressed with EVFs to this date. The X-T1's EVF is useable to me, with little enough concern. And the ability to configure as desired, or switch to LCD and tilt, is quite helpful. So, I find the X-T1's EVF OK.

Viewfinder mode button - I find to be a little difficult to find and use with my eye to the EVF.

Locking ISO dial - a non issue IMHO. I tend to set the ISO for conditions and then shoot using aperture, shutter speed and exposure comp. When conditions are changing enough/ fast enough that I would be constantly messing with that dial I would go Auto ISO mode. Works for me.

Drive and Metering mode dials - the nub on the front is slightly small for me, and makes movement of the dial a bit more difficult than it could be.

Fn/ WiFi button - awkward, but not a big issue so far as I rarely use it. Might change in the future.

Video button - I have only once accidentally activated video, and it was while handling the camera and not while actively shooting.

Front Fn button - another non-issue. I have not accidentally hit this switch.

Light leaks - not an issue in use so far. I'll have the camera in for repair before it might be an issue.

14mm - beautiful lens. Wide enough for almost everything, but I could have used wider, or a fisheye a few times on the trip. Only issue I have with the lens is the same I had with the 35mm - the aperture ring is simply too easy to move. Multiple times on this trip I would notice the ring had moved from where I had set it. IMHO Fuji needs a bit more positive detent force in the lenses that have marked positions.

27mm - wonderful. Small, light, sharp enough. Makes the camera quite small and handy. No problem with using the front dial to control aperture.

55-200mm - another wonderful lens. Not much to say, other than I need more reach. Come on Fuji, with a 100-400mm or some dedicated tele primes!!!

Battery life - ugh. :mad: Battery life indicator seems a bit better than I remember from the X-100 or X-Pro1, but not near as accurate as Nikon's. Twice, I had a battery die on me before I saw the flashing red icon. During my roaming at the USAF Museum, I was done shooting about the time I started to get tired - because I had gone through all 4 of my fully-charged batteries. And only saw about 1/3 of the exhibits. This is one area Fuji needs to make some serious improvements.

Just picked up the MHG-XT and the battery grip. :D Very nice. The small grip works perfectly with my RRS gear, and provides just enough extra grip surface. The battery grip is nice as well, controls are all OK for me to operate. Minimal added weight with either grip IMHO.

Sorry for the missive - I'm not a pro and I don't review cameras for a living, but I figured someone might find useful the opinion of a Luddite with oddly-shaped hands who uses the camera "simply".

Will I keep this mirror-less system? As of now, yes. Also as of now, no desire to add lenses or other gear.

I will need to find a better bag for the Fuji kit - the ones I have are either too big or slightly too small.

Will my Nikon gear be going? Some of it will - just need to make some difficult choices.

Will definitely be keeping the new 80-400. Wonderful lens. And I'll be keeping the D700 with the 50/1.8G. Will have to think about the rest of the Nikon stuff.

As some of you may be aware, I had a little road trip recently. Texas to Vermont and back, with some side trips for a little sight-seeing along the way. All told, 4956 miles.

I love the concept of smaller, lighter, capable cameras, and the various systems working that niche. I have previously tried the E-M5, the X-100, and the X-Pro1 - other systems' controls or features did not work for me. In the end, these three fell short as well, for various reasons - mostly because of me oddly shaped digits. o_O

The X-T1, so far, has hit "that" spot with regards to size, weight, IQ, and ergonomics - for me. So a few observations now that the newness has worn off. If anyone has some questions, I'll do my best to answer.

Size and weight - my back and shoulder thanks Fuji. :)

IQ - no complaints. I can use the Fuji jpegs OOC with minimal adjustments unless I want to get a bit creative or change something.

AF - only one noticed issue. Twice, the camera focused on something behind the subject. Even though the subject filled the AF box and I had green confirmation of focus. One was a focus and re-compose, the other was a static centered shot. Did not play around much with moving subjects. Most of the birds interesting to shoot were either too far away, or moved much too fast for me to follow with the camera. I did track a small business jet out of Portland airport at 200mm and it appears sharp.

Auto WB - under almost all conditions I shot, it was good. Really good. The exception being the USAF Museum, with multiple types of lighting hitting the same exhibits. The problem was most evident in the reds and oranges. Depending on the amount and type of varying lighting, those colors would be anything from some shade of red, to a blown-out fluorescent pink.

Viewfinder - I am a OVF snob. I love big bright optical viewfinders, and have not been impressed with EVFs to this date. The X-T1's EVF is useable to me, with little enough concern. And the ability to configure as desired, or switch to LCD and tilt, is quite helpful. So, I find the X-T1's EVF OK.

Viewfinder mode button - I find to be a little difficult to find and use with my eye to the EVF.

Locking ISO dial - a non issue IMHO. I tend to set the ISO for conditions and then shoot using aperture, shutter speed and exposure comp. When conditions are changing enough/ fast enough that I would be constantly messing with that dial I would go Auto ISO mode. Works for me.

Drive and Metering mode dials - the nub on the front is slightly small for me, and makes movement of the dial a bit more difficult than it could be.

Fn/ WiFi button - awkward, but not a big issue so far as I rarely use it. Might change in the future.

Video button - I have only once accidentally activated video, and it was while handling the camera and not while actively shooting.

Front Fn button - another non-issue. I have not accidentally hit this switch.

Light leaks - not an issue in use so far. I'll have the camera in for repair before it might be an issue.

14mm - beautiful lens. Wide enough for almost everything, but I could have used wider, or a fisheye a few times on the trip. Only issue I have with the lens is the same I had with the 35mm - the aperture ring is simply too easy to move. Multiple times on this trip I would notice the ring had moved from where I had set it. IMHO Fuji needs a bit more positive detent force in the lenses that have marked positions.

27mm - wonderful. Small, light, sharp enough. Makes the camera quite small and handy. No problem with using the front dial to control aperture.

55-200mm - another wonderful lens. Not much to say, other than I need more reach. Come on Fuji, with a 100-400mm or some dedicated tele primes!!!

Battery life - ugh. :mad: Battery life indicator seems a bit better than I remember from the X-100 or X-Pro1, but not near as accurate as Nikon's. Twice, I had a battery die on me before I saw the flashing red icon. During my roaming at the USAF Museum, I was done shooting about the time I started to get tired - because I had gone through all 4 of my fully-charged batteries. And only saw about 1/3 of the exhibits. This is one area Fuji needs to make some serious improvements.

Just picked up the MHG-XT and the battery grip. :D Very nice. The small grip works perfectly with my RRS gear, and provides just enough extra grip surface. The battery grip is nice as well, controls are all OK for me to operate. Minimal added weight with either grip IMHO.

Sorry for the missive - I'm not a pro and I don't review cameras for a living, but I figured someone might find useful the opinion of a Luddite with oddly-shaped hands who uses the camera "simply".

Will I keep this mirror-less system? As of now, yes. Also as of now, no desire to add lenses or other gear.

I will need to find a better bag for the Fuji kit - the ones I have are either too big or slightly too small.

Will my Nikon gear be going? Some of it will - just need to make some difficult choices.

Will definitely be keeping the new 80-400. Wonderful lens. And I'll be keeping the D700 with the 50/1.8G. Will have to think about the rest of the Nikon stuff.

Nice write-up. Thanks for sharing your experience Gordon

+1 on the review.

I'm not looking to change anything right now but the XT1 is the one recent release that has interested me - seeing real hands on reports like this really helps.

Morten, Andy - thanks!

One thing I forgot to mention yesterday was the 4-way controller on the rear of the body. I can use it OK most of the time, but find myself having to look at my thumb placement on occasion - like when my fingers are cold. I think the only change Fuji really needs to do with that is to make them just slightly taller so they are a bit easier to sense by feel. A positive click would be nice, but I'm not really having an issue with that.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom