x1.7 TC better than the x1.4TC?

Hello everyone,

Im going to purchase a teleconverter this week for my 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, but havent decided which one to get:

TC-14e II
TC-17e II
TC-20e II

Just got done reading an article by Ken Rockwell and he states that the 70-200 performs better with the TC-17e II vs. no TC at all! Do you believe that?

He likes the x1.4, but doesnt speak too highly of the x2.0.

If I need to go to around 300mm do you think I would be better off with the 1.4 and come up a bit short or go for the 1.7 and have plenty of extra reach?

IQ is really important to me so Id like to get the best of the three with that in mind.

If you have an opinion on this Id love to hear from you and thanks again for the help you give me!

my best to all,

Rick

Ken Rockwell is an idiot. Get the 1.4 tc. I prefer to use this tc in order to minimize any image degradation. I'd get the 1.7 tc before I ever get the 2x. In fact, I don't think I would even bother!

Rick, If you want the very best in speed and image quality for your 70-200mm VR get the 1.4TC. I had both and sold the 1.7TC, wide open the 70-200mm VR images were on the soft side. Take the 2.0TC off your list its terrible!

Rick, If you want the very best in speed and image quality for your 70-200mm VR get the 1.4TC. I had both and sold the 1.7TC, wide open the 70-200mm VR images were on the soft side. Take the 2.0TC off your list its terrible!
Hi Anthony,
Any of TC also comparible to that of the 70-300VR????
thanks

P

prowicz

Ken Rockwell is an idiot. Get the 1.4 tc. I prefer to use this tc in order to minimize any image degradation. I'd get the 1.7 tc before I ever get the 2x. In fact, I don't think I would even bother!

I second that - TC-14 works fine! Anything more on a zoom IMO is pushing it!

Real Name
Randy
Ken is like Howard Cosell, he likes controversy
I wouldn't use any TC on the 70-200 but how he says the 1.7 is better than the 1.4 let alone better than naked is pure Kentraversy

Having all 3 TCs, 1.4 is hands down the better of the bunch followed by the 1.7 TC. I do use the 2.0 from time to time, but you definitely sacrifice IQ, f-stops, etc.. If I were in your shoes, I would go for the 1.4 TC.

Just got done reading an article by Ken Rockwell and he states that the 70-200 performs better with the TC-17e II vs. no TC at all!
:biggrin: thats a classic - you have to love Ken, he provides the photography world with so much entertainment.

I sold the 1.7 for a 1.4 and feel that was one of my best camera purchases (for 70-200), never regretted the switch.

Agreed, another vote for the TC1.4. IMHO the TC2.0 is not quite the dog others seem to think it is, it just depends on the lens you pair it with. I am very happy with it on the 300/2.8 and 200/2. If IQ is really your concern at 300mm, you may want to consider a 300/4. The older non-AFS versions sell for around $500 used and the newer AFS ones for around $900.

I went with the 1.7 for my 70-200.

It's a trade off; if you don't need the extra length, go with the 1.4. On the D3, I feel that I need the extra length.

As per usual....GREAT input here. I thank each and every one of you for your insight, knowledge and time!

Im going to purchase the x1.4 today thanks to you folks.

Im saving for the 300mm f/2.8....probably next spring, my piggy bank has lots of air in it right now!

take care all,

Rick

Oh......I forgot....one more question if you dont mind:

Can you tell me how you would compare an image shot with the 70-200 + x1.4TC at 280mm vs. the same image shot at 200mm (no TC) and cropped to equal the TC image?

Just wanted to get a feel how they would compare. Yesterday i had to crop so much at 200mm that my 12.3 megapixels ended up at 1mb!!!! I think it hurt my IQ substantially with that severe of a crop and was hoping the 1.4TC would cut that down a bit.

Thanks again for your comments!

Rick

Hi Rick,
If image quality is so important then better don't use any tele converter with 70-200, you'll be disappointed with the softness at f/2.8 which be will more according to the tc used. Save money and get 300mm, f/4.

I am not Anthony, but I have tried the kenko pro 1.4 TC on my 70-300 VR and it does not work well at all, the focus really hunts. At 300mm the 70-300 is already at f/5.6 and with the TC it is f/8 wide open, this just does not let in enough light for good AF

The 70-300VR was never really meant to have a TC on it. TC's are for fast primes for the most part and a VERY few fast zooms.

Cheers
Nancy

Hello everyone,

Im going to purchase a teleconverter this week for my 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, but havent decided which one to get:

TC-14e II
TC-17e II
TC-20e II

Just got done reading an article by Ken Rockwell and he states that the 70-200 performs better with the TC-17e II vs. no TC at all! Do you believe that?

I haven't seen what Ken had to say in context but if his contention is that at final output size the IQ of an image taken with the x1.7 is better than that of one taken with no TC and then multiplied x1.7 in a computer I won't argue with it .

He likes the x1.4, but doesnt speak too highly of the x2.0.

If I need to go to around 300mm do you think I would be better off with the 1.4 and come up a bit short or go for the 1.7 and have plenty of extra reach?

IQ is really important to me so Id like to get the best of the three with that in mind.

If you have an opinion on this Id love to hear from you and thanks again for the help you give me!

my best to all,

Rick

Differences in IQ aren't a big factor for me when choosing between the x1.4 and x1.7, I just don't see any significant difference. The bigger concerns for me are be loss of light and the resulting slowing of AF.

Do keep in mind that you need better long lens technique with a x1.4 tc and even better with a x1.7. I think some people (no one in this thread, of course) don't take that into account when judging the TC's.

A few 70-200VR + x1.7TC samples.

Blue-masked Leafbird
67840378_RWLxB-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Fujian Niltava aka Fukien Niltava
67840415_DTpAX-L.jpg

Caribbean Flamingo
304915573_yBCRD-L.jpg

Great Blue Heron
304919943_biwc4-L.jpg

I have no direct experience with the x2 TC and I'm fairly confident that most of the people that comment on it have about that same amount.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom