X20 and EM5

While out and about yesterday I stopped at the Prairie Grove Battleground State Park (outside of Fayetteville, AR). While there I took a couple of shots of this Dog Trot House with both the EM5 (the 35-100 mounted), and with the X20. Back at the hotel I thought it was an interesting result when comparing the two shots.

I guess the only observation I'd make is that under the favorable circumstances these were taken, you have to look fairly critically to see any substantial difference in the results. Obviously there are some differences and if conditions were not so favorable the differences would be more marked.

When I took the shots I wasn't thinking about making a comparison or I would have made some efforts to have the same equivalent focal lengths and point of view, but they're close enough for the sake of this comparison. I'm constantly impressed with how good the results can be from the X20.

9337017316_5a79c6e7c7_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Sample 1 by Michael Presley, on Flickr

9337018536_bac9f64dd4_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Sample 2 by Michael Presley, on Flickr

Nice shots Michael, I used to have an Oly XZ-1 and in sunny conditions where thin DoF or defocused backgrounds were not needed, it produced images just as sharp as my D-SLRs

I travel (a lot at times) and have almost always packed a camera bag with more camera gear than I ever need - that's of course gotten a lot easier with the u4/3 gear but for business trips it's still more than I ever need. For such trips I think I'd almost always be happy with what the X20 can do - maybe not on vacation - but generally yes.

Since I drive when traveling to AR it's no big deal to throw in a small bag with extra camera gear, I've even gotten a couple of photoshoot gigs while here and luckily I had something other than just the X20 with me. When flying having less to carry is always a plus...

It's pretty amazing how good the technology has gotten.

It's pretty amazing how good the technology has gotten.

It's also amazing how much better Noise Reduction software has become, with Dnoise or Nik Define, I was able to get decently clean images from my XZ-1 up to ISO 1000

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom