XE-1 question

Im seriously thinking about getting one of the lil cams as my travel camera .I hvae a questions for those who own one is there a camera that you can compare the size to ,since I do not have a camera shop around , How does it compare with the D700 with a 50 mounted

I have a d800 and xe1. the size, weight, bulk is incomparable. much much smaller and lighter.

Wow thanks guys ,it looks like it a pretty big difference in size. Rooz mind if I PM you with a couple of questions since you do own one.
TY

Mark, the X-E1 is dramatically smaller/lighter than my D3s gear (which I haven't touched since getting the X-E1). It's slightly larger than the Sony NEX-7 that I'm replacing with the X-E1. That's ok though, because the X-E1 actually fits my hands better than the NEX-7. I like the IQ of the X-E1 better than the NEX-7 in some respects also. This is partly due to the excellent Fuji lenses, but partly due to the sensor also.

I'm interesting in X-E1 as well. I love my X100's IQ but not AF speed. So I'm now looking at 100s or X-E1.

Are AF speeds of X100s and X-e1 comparable with D600 ? Can be X-E1 or X100s usable for chasing kids?
I'm sorry OP for hijacking your thread.

Thanks

I'm interesting in X-E1 as well. I love my X100's IQ but not AF speed. So I'm now looking at 100s or X-E1.

Are AF speeds of X100s and X-e1 comparable with D600 ? Can be X-E1 or X100s usable for chasing kids?

Thanks

Absolutely not comparable. The AF of the xe1 sucks compared to any dslr I've ever used going way back to a d50. It's not a chasing kids type of camera and anyone that tells you otherwise is kidding themselves.

In dim conditions the xe1 AF is about the slowest and most frustrating AF I've ever used, including compacts.

XE1 I own is tiny, yet surprisingly comfortable in hand. Even the kit 18-55 lens kind of overweighs it, but that 18-55 is a brilliant lens. People on the street comment often how I have a cool old camera (I have a silver one)

Thanks

XE1 absolutely cannot be used to chase kids with 35/1.4 lens, it has been tried by me and others and universally known - you will be frustrated. with 18-55IS lens it is much better becuase 18-55 focuses significantly faster than 35/1.4. the slowest AF I exprienced on 60/2.4 it is so slow, it makes Panasonic 20/1.7 m43 lens feel fast.

X100s is another story. If it is anything as my X20 (phase af points on sensor) the AF should be fairly quick.

The best small cameras to catch kids are latest m43 camers from Olympus and Panasonic. My former Olympus OM-D and my present Panasonic GX1 af instantly in any light and easily catch my 1-year-old that won't stop for a second. These AF as fast as any DSLR in single shot scenario

In dim conditions the xe1 AF is about the slowest and most frustrating AF I've ever used, including compacts.

That means you have not used the first Olympus m43 cameras: EP1 and EPL1. These guys in low light were even worse believe it or not. Well at least as bad.
By the way, I just sold my 35/1.4 lens - the AF was just unbearable. However, 18-55 kit lens is seriously in another league, the AF is much faster and silent. That dual-motor in it does make a difference. I hope they include the same motor in the 56/1.2 when it comes out early next year, that lens should be a treat.

how does the 14mm lens perform? Someone suggested looking into a NEX system for my travels but a friend of mine had one and when I held it , didnt feel right in my hands

how does the 14mm lens perform? Someone suggested looking into a NEX system for my travels but a friend of mine had one and when I held it , didnt feel right in my hands

I owned NEX 5n and then NEX 7. Sold NEX 7 as again the AF was not up to par with children. I had trouble autofocusing on my child at the mall with NEX 7 and 50 1.8 lens and the mall is not even that dark. In terms of detail though, at low ISOs (100-400) that 24MP sensor produced remarkable detail rivaling FF gear. Seriously I have taken some portraits that when I see at 100% the detail is just stunning. However, the Af was the Achilles foot. so I sold it and got E-M5 and was happy for a year with it.

Have not tried 14mm yet so I can't tell you if it has an improved AF. I have no interest in 21mm effective focal length.

I was thinking I needed a wide lens strictly for the upcoming trip to Italy.

to me 14mm is /neither there not here/. It is not really ultra wide, but at the same way, it cannot really be used for portraits either.

Not sure when your trip is coming but Fuji 10-24 is scheduled to be released at the end of the year. I do agree that, especially for Italian cities, wide and wider is the key. If I was going to Italy and wanted to be small and discrete, I'd probably get Olympus OMD or a new EP5, plus highly rated Panasonic 7-14/F4 (14-28 equivalent) which is a small and phenomenally sharp lens, yet the 14-28 is a great range to be in Europe.

XE1 absolutely cannot be used to chase kids with 35/1.4 lens, it has been tried by me and others and universally known - you will be frustrated. with 18-55IS lens it is much better becuase 18-55 focuses significantly faster than 35/1.4. the slowest AF I exprienced on 60/2.4 it is so slow, it makes Panasonic 20/1.7 m43 lens feel fast.

X100s is another story. If it is anything as my X20 (phase af points on sensor) the AF should be fairly quick.

The best small cameras to catch kids are latest m43 camers from Olympus and Panasonic. My former Olympus OM-D and my present Panasonic GX1 af instantly in any light and easily catch my 1-year-old that won't stop for a second. These AF as fast as any DSLR in single shot scenario

Thank you so much for your helpful input. I hope I can try X100s and the m43 cameras someday.

That means you have not used the first Olympus m43 cameras: EP1 and EPL1. These guys in low light were even worse believe it or not. Well at least as bad.
By the way, I just sold my 35/1.4 lens - the AF was just unbearable. However, 18-55 kit lens is seriously in another league, the AF is much faster and silent. That dual-motor in it does make a difference. I hope they include the same motor in the 56/1.2 when it comes out early next year, that lens should be a treat.

no, haven't used the oly's except for the em5 where the af is excellent. even in low light the em5 was pretty good. my issue with the oly's is that the IQ doesn't deliver the fuji magic, in low light its a stop behind aswell imo.
and I know its subjective...but this is my mistress camera and it has to be hot as hell to convince me not to take the d800 out...the fuji is sublime to hold and behold...the oly...ahhh...not so much.

Trying to use the X series cameras as you would a DSLR is an exercise in frustration. But then again they weren't designed to be used as such.

What you need to do to photograph fast moving subjects is pre-focus.

I took photos of a hockey tourney with my 100s and the X-E1 with the "slow" 60 2.4 and had very few issues because I prefocused.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom