XiangQian - Chinese Chess

A very popular game here in China on the streets (I got infected actually after seeing these gentlemen and learned the basic differences between the western Chess and the Chinese Chess, which are indeed very similar):

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

"chinese chess"

… another place a few streets around the corner in the workshop of an umbrella maker:

… and another one in the same area:

Last edited by a moderator:
I like these.

In Soho in London, there's a table under a pagoda-like construction where the men (always men) play it standing up, and they concentrate so hard on their game they never take the slightest notice of the photographer!

Actually caught some action in #3 chess shot, excellent set, Dirk!
Thanks Bill!
I will explore several ideas further in future visits to the area.
Andrew and friends here from the forum, made me aware of this beautiful part of the city.

It is like an oasis of real, true life in this buzzing metropolis - very rare indeed in these modern times.

Andrew posted other threads about the place - here is one link, to see more of Shanghai:

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=299310

Great shots! It's taken very seriously!
Thanks, yes Dossy, this is a very important strategy game here and I guess, you will find one or another chess master in these alleys.

The game itself has some remarkable similar characteristics to the western version of "Chess".
A lot of differences as well though, which make this game quite a bit more tricky (several figures cannot leave or enter certain areas on the board, the movements are more restrictive, etc…).

Very nice and real shots. Great work.
Thanks Nguyen Ky ;-)

These were taken during a group visit of the area, so somewhat rushed, while I was not really in the mood of taking pictures that particular day (it is a very sensitive thing, to get into the right mode).

I got some keepers though and will certainly revisit the place on a better day ;-)

yeah, great set Dirk, and the PP suits the atmosphere.
Thanks a lot Vince!

We were in the area during a conceptual difficulty, I am pretty unfamiliar with:

sunlight ! :eek:

;-) I usually shoot in the late evenings and during the nights, so it was like a whole new thing, to experience the play and effects of the shining sun in these alleyways.

I enjoyed it and the post processing had to be adapted to this as well.

Last two are really interesting, nice perspective. Good camera work.
Thanks Jeff!
The umbrella maker, having a match with a friend actually was amazing!
It was a really, really cramped open workshop - he could hardly move, having some of his machines and tools even raking into his vision.

It was all about the game and a few minutes of remoteness during the working day.
It is not like in western countries - working hours of these small shops are from morning into the night, to feed the families - there is no 0900-1200 1300-1800 here for these shops. Most also are open 7 days a week!

I really liked the light falling only on the face of the smoking chess player in the last frame. He also seemed, to intimidate his opponent by how he stapled his taken opponent stones, always reminding, who is pushing ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom