Y.M.C.A.

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by dkapp, Apr 10, 2005.

1. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    Sing along with me...It's fun to stay at the Y.M.C.A.

Reminds me of High School Prom. This was the only song (other than slow songs) all the guys would dance to. Now that I think about it...we were pretty pathetic. Ahh...the awkward years :D

Anyway...on to the image. Taken in the Tenderloin District of San Francisco moments before I had to hoof it out of there last week.

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    Dave

2. A striking image; evocative of a byegone age and all the more nostalgic for being in black and white.

I like it!

3. Like the image, like the song. Both are sweet.

4. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    Thanks for the reply. I've also posted this on FM B&W forums and someone actually responded with their experience at the YMCA in the early 80's. He said he showered there a couple times, and it was very uncomfortable situation. Trying shower w/ 30 guys staring at him and wanting to take him to bed. Not his fondest memories.

Dave

5. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    Thanks for stopping by Gordon. I appreciate the comments.

Dave

6. Another great B&W image.

Looking at your other posts - you've certainly found an "interesting" area to shoot in.

Look forward to seeing more of your work here.

7. Brave of you to admit you danced to that song Dave. Love how you make art from something so ordinary as a YMCA sign on a building. Thnxs for sharing.

8. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Wow - awesome work here, love the contrast you evoke. I got some *nice* photos today too - now to get some time to post process them.

9. Like the B&W shot Dave!! Never knew the YMCA had a Hotel?!!?! :? :?

10. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    Thanks again Dougie. I'll keep posting away until they chase me out of here.

Dave

11. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    Awesome. I can't wait to see what you've been up to :D

Dave

12. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    They YMCA has what some would call a shady past. There are a lot of interesting stories out there ;)

Dave