Yellow-bellied Sapsucker and a Starling

Real Name
Charlie
Two of the 'better' ones from the last couple of weeks.

A yellow-bellied sapsucker (Sphyrapicus varius). Me and the soon to be better half were on the way home from a morning of less than fruitful birding, stopped to get breakfast and saw this fellow making the rounds.

Starlings (Sturnus vulgaris), though an introduced species and quite a nuisance at times, are stunningly beautiful. Saw this one in the backyard.

I'm always looking to improve, all suggestions and critiques are appreciated. :~)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Very nice colors and details on the starling. The woodpecker has nice feather details. The woodpecker is cropped very tight....a little more room in the frame might be better. Although the fine feathers of the woodpecker seem sharp, the over all image quality seems a bit off. Is this a very large crop? Maybe it is just the large amount of OOF tree bark in the frame. The shutter speed is very slow for birding.

Real Name
Charlie
Very nice colors and details on the starling. The woodpecker has nice feather details. The woodpecker is cropped very tight....a little more room in the frame might be better. Although the fine feathers of the woodpecker seem sharp, the over all image quality seems a bit off. Is this a very large crop? Maybe it is just the large amount of OOF tree bark in the frame. The shutter speed is very slow for birding.

Thanks for the feedback Butlerkid. Its truly appreciated.

The sap-sucker is a large crop, it was a bit of a junky BG on the right (restaurant signs and such). Perhaps the messy background should have made this a delete file.

As far as shutter speed and OOF bark, I have no good reason for it being so low other than newbie inattentiveness. :~)

Real Name
Randy
Thanks for the feedback Butlerkid. Its truly appreciated.

The sap-sucker is a large crop, it was a bit of a junky BG on the right (restaurant signs and such). Perhaps the messy background should have made this a delete file.

As far as shutter speed and OOF bark, I have no good reason for it being so low other than newbie inattentiveness. :~)
you forgot you were betting SS on lowering ISO and I'd say you def won this time. Everybody shoots different. Try em all and find a fav. Most here probably shoot in Manual and use Auto ISO. Many shoot manual and fix the ISO.

Real Name
Charlie
you forgot you were betting SS on lowering ISO and I'd say you def won this time. Everybody shoots different. Try em all and find a fav. Most here probably shoot in Manual and use Auto ISO. Many shoot manual and fix the ISO.
Thanks randy.

I have been shooting auto ISO with an upper value of 3200 (for some reason the 90d will not allow 2500 as a range limiting value).

Ha! Forgeting things is common with me, 6 concussions, its allowed.

Hopefully, before long, the exposure triangle will be as second nature as the circle of fifths. :~)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom