1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Yellow Eyes

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Crave, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Crave

Crave Guest

Never saw this before, they are very fast and are always moving!
    I think i shoot a male and a female!

DSC_0087-7.

I think this is the female, it was opening holes and after it closed them, maybe she left eggs?

DSC_0099-5.

Hope someone can identify them, and tell me witch one is the male and female!

2. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Wow. Those eyes are awesome. I have no idea what they are. Look like some kind of robberflies.

3. Hi, this looks very much like Coelioxys sp. - a Cuckoo Leafcutter Bee. The description of the behaviour (moving very fast) supports this. They are parasites on Megachile species.

Recent studies even put both in one genus, Megachile - same as the former Cuckoo Bumblebees (Psithyrus) are now also in the genus Bombus. Just because one parasites the other is no justification to put them in different genera.

Cheers

4. Counter

Counter

Sep 18, 2007
    London
    Very cool shots. Speaking of wasp on wasp predation, I was about to post a couple of Ruby-tailed wasps but I don't think they look so good now I've seen these!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2008
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.