Yellow Jacket Nest, 70-180mm Micro and 70-200mm +500D

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by CrystallP, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Okay, in a really insane moment, I photographed the yellow jacket nest that was found inside of a throw rug on our deck. I saturated this nest and the rug with insecticide the night before and did not expect to find anything living. Boy, was I wrong! More images can be found at http://www.pbase.com/cympearson/yellowjackets.

70-180mm f/4.5-5.6 AF ED Micro Nikkor

1/500s f/11 at 150mm

70-200mm f/2.8 mm VR + 500D close up filter

1/500s f/9 at 200mm

1/250s f/5.6 at 160mm

1/1000s f/5.6 at 175mm

1/125s f/8 at 135mm

2. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Okay, after I got over my really bad case of the heebie jeebies, I looked at them a second time and decided these are great! Sharp! I love the 3rd shot because of the wing motion going on w/the little guy at the bottom. The 4th shot was cool (albeit a bit creepy) with the one guy digging his way out of his little chamber.

You are MUCH, MUCH, MUCH braver than I'd have been....and now you have the shots to prove it!

3. Thank you Leigh, not brave, desperate to try out the 70-200 + 500D combo. I was fine until I notice there were a lot of live ones in there! Yikes!

Big question, are they hornets or yellow jackets? I get them mixed up.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great images. Sounds like something I would do. lol

Camera in hand, NO FEAR, til later.

They may be hornets. yellow jackets I think borrow in the ground.. Now I am not sure about that .

I have seen thier nest in the ground. But maybe they are not fussy.

Anyway I am glad they did not sting you.

I have a funny story about the one in the ground, I will tell sometime.

Thank you for sharing.

I will get my 70-200 VR tomorrow and curious as to how the 500D will do. How close were you. Inches ???

5. Hi Gale,

I was less than one foot from the nest while using the 70-200+500D combination. I tried to use the 6T filter on the 70-180, but I had to get toooooo close to the nest for good imagery. These guys (yellow jackets) will not vacate the damaged nest. Looks like we will have to spray and burn it. Ouch! :cry:

6. I like number 3 the best...those are mean little buggers. Go spray it with some stuff or burn it down! I wouldn't risk getting stung...even if they do make nice photo subjects.

7. Good idea, only we tried that and the little buggers survived an entire can of spray. Tonight we are going to try again and then remove the nest from the rug (we can't burn it because of the backing). We hate to destroy them, but they have to go...

8. Crystal I admire your fortitude if not your saneness in photographing these little beasties. There was a house near me that had a small nest and before you know it, it had grown to over three feet long and a foot and a half wide. It was then no laughing matter and they had to hire a professional to come and clean it out. I think they are scary creatures and no fun when you get stung.

9. Hi Crystall,

Nice shots! You'd better get rid of them now! Don't leave them too long. Wasp stings are a lot more painfull in the fall. Something to do with their venom becoming more concentrated later in the season.

A couple of years ago I did something similar with my coolpix. The wasps had a nest in one of my hollow steel fence posts. On a warm day a few of them were sitting on top of the post buzzing their wings to fan the nest. I took a few quick pictures but I wasn't as brave as you. I cheated and used a 3x telecoverter. I then sprayed and capped the end of the pipe with a block of wood - no more wasps. :)

10. ARE YOU NUTS????????????????????
    great shots but poor judgement, I would rather fight a den of snakes than these guys.
    on a less harsh note: these are great shots.

11. Yep, definitely nuts! Actually, they completely ignored me. I wasn't a threat to them until the next day when I thought they were all dead and I tried to sweep the nest off the deck. Talk about poor judgement. Let's just say that we are buying an economy-sized can of spray, metal bucket, and gasoline. :oops:

But what a great opportunity to try out the 70-200+500D! I will probably never be that brave or insane again...

More images can be found at http://pbase.com/cympearson/yellowjackets

12. These are some persistent buggers. They are trying to rebuild the nest. If we can't get rid of them tomorrow, I am calling in the pros. They are fascinating to watch, as long as you don't get too close.

13. I think the insanity comes from LLD. I really wanted to try out my new micro lens and close up filter, but I had to settle for the longer combo (70-200+500D).

I think I will stick with flowers... :lol: They don't buzz!

14. and you do so well on the flowers :^)

15. From my point of view, you are crazy. I love the photos, but if that were me behind the camera I would have had to keep one hand on the EpiPen autoinjector I carry with me most of the time.

16. Yes, I have one of those too. But, like I said, the yellow jackets were busy assessing the damage to their nest and totally ignored me. This was a once in a lifetime opportunity that won't be repeated...at least not by me. :oops: