Yellow Roses

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by CrystallP, Jul 18, 2005.

1. I noticed you also use the C500D ring... It seems that it produces some very good close-ups and macros...

2. Neil

Neil

Jul 8, 2005
    Douglasville, GA
    lovely images of yellow roses, thanks for sharing

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Beautiful images Crystall. I like the way you've centered the DOF in the 3rd shot around the primary subject, and you've held the yellow highlights very well (something I often have a problem with).

Very nice. :wink:

4. Hi Panos,

The holiday weekend crowd did not enable me to use the 500D for my adventures at Longwood Gardens. These images were taken several feet away with only the 70-200VR.

Neil, thank you for the feedback.

Frank,

I am so glad you like the third image. I tried two versions of this image with either the first or second rose in focus. This one worked out much better.

5. Crystall very nice yellow, the last one is the one i like the most for the same reasons as Frank.

Here a site I found this morning that talked about WB using the degree Kelvin, I put some test in the lens section that i made this morning.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/white-balance.htm

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gilles,

I always use the Kelvin settings for WB. I'm not sure what 'Cloudy +3' really means, but thanks to Ron Reznick, I can do a pretty good job of estimating the current WB setting requirements. I try to get it as close as possible in the field, and since I only shoot RAW, I can make any final tweaking adjustments in NC.

Crystall, I hope you don't mind my slightly of topic comments here. I didn't mean to hijack your thread. 8)

7. Lisa

Lisa

May 3, 2005
    IL
    Crystall:

Shouldn't you be headed for Niagra Falls by now :lol: Seriously, these are lovely. You did very well maintaining details in the yellows. I don't know how capturing yellow is with any other Nikon camera, but as you know the D70 tends to blow them. What kind of metering do you use?

Again, nice work! And don't forget to post shots from the falls with all that new gear you found yesterday! :D

8. Crystall, I think #1 is my favorite. I like the unobstructed view of the flower and the depth of detail of all the intricate petals! Very beautiful!!

9. Wow! Such wonderful feedback from all of you! It's good to be back from vacation. Let's see:

Gilles,

I will definitely check out that article. I have a lot of difficulty with yellows and reds with the D70.

Hi Frank,

I don't mind you hijacking this post at all. I have Ron Reznick's eBook, but I haven't had time to peruse it yet. I had a lot of success at the Falls, especially with the TC17E. There how is that for getting off topic? :lol:

Lisa,

I used multi-pattern metering for the yellow rose images.

Off topic - Niagara Falls: I will probably be processing for days! The 12-24 was a major success, especially on the Maid of the Mist. Yes, I was able to capture many images while on that turbulent, wet ride. I used the TC17E with the 70-200VR from the 41st floor of the Embassy Suites Hotel. I was able to get incredible images as well as terrific wide angel shots of both falls. I will post in the landscape forum soon. Glad to be back!

Kevin,

Thank you for the feedback regarding the first rose. I worked pretty hard to capture that image, but as usual, post processing yellows is kind of difficult for me.

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Hey Crystall,

Welcome back!! Can't wait to see your shots from Niagara. I don't usually get to spend much time on the Landscape forum, but I'll definitely check for your posts.

Sounds like your vacation went swimmingly. :wink:

11. Hi Frank,

I am actively working on my images, including a few impromptu white lilies shot at a Pennsylvania rest stop on the way home yesterday. They were so lovely and I just couldn't pass up the chance to capture them. I have so much to post and not enough time to process. See you soon on the landscape forum. In the mean time I will try and post a few floral images from our trip.

12. Seems as though Longwood was a popular place last week love youshots did you get thes over by the topairy garden?

13. Hmm, I am not sure, we had about two hours to tour due to the fireworks display, so I spent all of my time inside the conservatory or greenhouse. Now I can't recall the proper term, but anyway, I plan to return to Longwood in September.

14. WOW, these are really nice. Nice going, Crystall!! :D :D :D

15. Thank you. I plan to return to Longwood after Labor Day for the fireworks display.