Yellow Sally--not for everyone!

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Jerry Snider, May 30, 2005.

1. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    1:1 ratio using Nikon 200 mm macro, SB 800 fill.

[​IMG]

Jerry Snider

2. Excellent capture of a very interesting hobby. I've always been fascinated with fly tying. I use an ultralight fishing rod so a 2 lb bass feels like a salmon but I'll be it's even better fly-fishing with one of your own flies!

3. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Jerry, that's a dandy. Why didn't I think of photographing flies -- it would certainly be useful for my old eyes when I'm trying to copy one.

Now, let's see it in the fish's mouth.

BTW: your date setting is at least one day off.

4. Very nice picture, but I think that the head of the vise take too much space, you should try to put the hook of the fly in the eye of a needle to take the picture that would leave more space to the fly itself.

5. I like the vise in the image as it tells the viewer about the process that created the beauty. just my opinion. Very nice, Jerry.

6. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Both of you have excellent points and I sincerely appreciate you providing them. Thanks so much for the input.
    For a size 16 fly (relatively small), the vise jaws DO loom large--this is the way it looks. If it is done for "art" then the vise in the photo is obviously inappropriate. If done to show a technique or tell a story, the vise IS considered appropriate. Which was I intending to do? Heck, I don't have any idea, I was just playing around with a new camera/lens combo and simply took a picture. In most of my pics my intention is simply to get a decent exposure and accurate focus!
    However, in most fly tying magazines, tying web sites, tying books, etc., the fly is usually shown in the vise to provide an idea of size and proportion.
    The downside to all of this is that I seem to have to use an extreme amount of sharpening with the D2X for ALL of my photos, e.g. Amount 160, Radius 2.2.
    Thanks for the thoughtful responses.
    Jerry Snider

7. Jerry here is a link to site that deal with photography and fly fishing. Choose on the left "features" and after that "photography" there's a lot of interresting information.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/

8. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Thanks for the link. It is one among several dozen I have bookmarked on my fly fishing site--as well as those associated with building bamboo rods, etc. A great link, for certain, and after ca. 60 years of fly fishing, 20 years of teaching fly tying, and 10 years of building bamboo rods, I still consider myself a beginner! Thanks again!
    Jerry Snider

9. My brother is a fly fisherman, and he makes a lot of flies. On my next visit to his place, i will try to make some picture of them.

10. Man, I would use that on my fly rod!! Nice shot!! :D :D :D