1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Yellow Warbler

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Argent, Aug 5, 2008.

1. cre8foru

cre8foru

Dec 1, 2007
    Atlanta GA
    Very nice. I really like number 4. Nice compostion

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very pretty bird Paul. I don't think that I've seen this species before.

Nice job.

3. almost a "watercolor" feeling to these
    gorgeous bird
    great shooting
    well done
    thanks for sharing

4. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    Hey Paul,

Number one, great shots of a Yellow Warbler. I like #2.

Number two, were did you get your recordings from? Cornell?

and finally three, Go sparingly on the cell phone calls, it seems that there are some birders out there that get ummm...overzelous both to the right and left of this issue and you never know whom you might run into.:biggrin: We had a flame war on a mailing list that I'm on because someone asked another what CD set of calls he was using. That started a two week "discussion" on the Pros and Cons of calling birds...ugh! I'm in the camp of use them...but sparingly.

I am going to hate to get a new cell phone because what I would do is set my cell phone near where I wanted the bird to be and then take another cell phone and call it. My wife just got a new one and you can't use recordings that you make as ringtones on her's. I am going to have to look for one with that option..can you imagin going into the cell phone store.."Hey, I need to call some birds, do you have one with..."

That being said, I still get strange looks when my wife calls my cell phone...look up the maiting call for a Golden Eagle.:biggrin:...

Have fun.

5. actually I don't use Cornell because they use Real Player and my poor non-smart phone can't deal with Real Audio files - I did however find (looks at his phone) two sites that seem to work ok

http://www.caf.wvu.edu/~rwhitmor/Ornithology/Bird_Songs.htm
    and
    http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/songwav.html

and so far I've had no one complaining - in fact my photographer friends are envious and now tag along with me to shoot

next on my list - pileated woodpeckers - everyone else has seen them at the park but me

6. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO

Thanks and Pileated are best it seems in the morning hours and they are loud!

7. Yeah I've heard them wailing away on the trees but by the time I stalk them down - they have usually been chased away by people with children or just other noisy walkers in general.

I'm just amazed that using my phone, and playing a birdsong actually kept them nearby and allowed me to shoot them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.