Yellow wood sorrel and Indian Strawberry

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Jerry Snider, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    I suffer a real problem with shooting yellow, especially yellow flowers. Have seen several by Frank and others that are nice and sharp, clear, etc. Please give me some help here? Both photos are of flowers just less than .5 in (ca 1 cm) across. Seem unsharp and oversaturated to me, but I have toned down and sharpened up as much as I dare. Suggestions and severe criticisms are most welcome!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jerry Snider

2. Jerry these are gorgeous and I am not sure what you do not like about them. I may have taken 1 stop of light away to preserve some detain in the yellow in the original exposure is about all I can offer up. (possibly less than a stop)

3. Jerry,

We seem to be in sync. I am having trouble with yellow zinnias. I think you have captured the yellow rather well. Thanks for posting this topic.

4. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Crystall,
    Glad to be of help, and sorry for the double post :oops: I really goofed on that one! However, I can't seem to come to grips with yellow flowers for some reason. Everyone else's seem to look great, but mine are just so so, either I blow the yellow, they aren't in focus, too saturated, etc.
    If you get a handle on yellow please keep me posted!
    Jerry Snider

5. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    Have you tried with a polarizer? Just a suggestion - I too have all sorts of problems with yellow, especially a tendency to blow them out.

6. The first one is a beautiful image and you have held the yellow channel well. The second is excellent as well and both of them are bright and well focused. Good job.

7. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Thanks for input folks.
    Gordon, guess I don't have an eye for when yellow is good....or isn't, I suppose. Appreciate the comments in any event. These were difficult for me to deal with since I was in deep, deep shade, small flowers, yet wanted full depth of field to show entire flower. Likely a profile view would have been better--but thenI would have had to dig a 3'-4' hole to get in to get the profile!! These are ground huggers. If I haven't figured it out in the last 40 years I likely will never figure it out!! Just keep on snappin' :lol: .
    Jerry Snider

8. I think they look wonderful. I've been trying to shoot the same flower in my yard,(2nd one) it just won't come out right. I seem to have trouble with yellow and fucshia. Great job.

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jerry,

I don't know what key I hit to lose my previous response, but I'll type it again I guess. :?

I like both of these. Shooting yellow to me is almost as difficult as shooting reds, especially on flowers. You did an excellent job IMHO. :wink:

10. Absolutely right. When I shoot yellow or red flowers I usually underexpose 1 stop, otherwise the red channel gets blown. Maybe a custom curve that tones down the red channel would help, but I'm afraid that would have a negative effect on the overall WB. So probably underexposing (or correctly exposing on the flower) and trying to bring back detail from the other channels during PP is the only solution (luminosity mask comes to mind).

BTW - as the others said - I also think that you did well, especially in the first one.

Cheers

11. Jerry i prefer the yellow of the last flower, it's more vibrant.

12. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Jerry,
    I find that highly saturated red and yellow flowers bother my eyes, especially when I am very close. Close up photos do the same thing. However, every time I desaturate a little, the resulting images just don't look right -- too flat. I'm not sure there is a happy compromise (for me) between comfort and accuracy. Other people seem to react in different ways, so my philosophy has become to try to keep from blowing the brightness but leave the saturation as nature intended.

13. Jerry,

I am really glad you posted this topic. It seems to have opened the flood gates regarding red and yellow flowers. I tried using a polarizer filter as well as underexposing the image with icky (technical term) results. I will post something as soon as I can.