yellowlegs?

Discussion in 'Birds' started by threecats, Aug 26, 2008.

1. This thing distracted me from dragonflies. Could it be a lesser yellowlegs? Bird books say off range but I can't think of anything else and do not see many shorebirds. Was in Michigan last week where the Platte river widens some and turns lakelike for a bit. Also have no idea what it is eating. Blown up it looks like legs sticking out.

2801123781_74107f54e1_b.

2801971056_34cab9fcab_b.
    thanks,
    glenn

2. It's a Solitary Sandpiper - white spectacles, greenish legs, white spots on brown back and wings.

Lesser Yellowlegs should migrate through your area spring and fall (now is fall for shorebirds).

Cheers,

Larry

3. well it certainly was alone. I know here in Illinois I only ever see one kind during the summer but I don't think it is this one. This one seemed larger overall. Thanks Larry,
    glenn

4. Hi Glenn

Spotted Sandpipers are smaller and will be in your area in summer, mostly along streams and rivers. As I mentioned before, this is autumn for shorebirds. Many of them would have started their southward migration 6 or 7 weeks ago.

Cheers,

Larry

5. Larry, maybe you know the name of the one that is here in Illinois all summer. I can try and dig up a pic but it's really the only shorebird I know of that I see along the river and lakes here during the summer.
    glenn

6. As per my last message :smile: - probably Spotted Sandpiper

Cheers,

Larry

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.