Yellowstone and Beartooth Hwy

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Vinod Menon, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Just got back from a vacation in Glacier National Park, Montana. On the way there, we stopped by Yellowstone and went along parts of the Beartooth Highway. What a beautiful place! I still have to process pictures from Glacier NP, but here are a few from the Yellowstone area. If you are interested, there are more at http://www.vinodmenon.com/gallery/Yellowstone
    These were all taken with the D70 and kit lens.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You will have to click on this for a slightly larger version.
    [​IMG]

2. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Vinod

Spectacluar images I check out your site later this evening!

3. Very nice shots, Vinod! That place looks incredible!! Thanks for sharing these.

4. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Great photos... I have to get there someday...

5. Spectacular. I really like them. Did you shoot in RAW?

What sort of post processing did you use?

Thanks.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Vinod,

Beautiful.. What great country.

7. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    You captured some pretty country there. Good job.

8. Polarizing filter in last shot?

I really like the panorama. It's hard to get deep blue, saturated sky like that. Is it this way because of the altitude, or did you use a polarizing filter?

What software did you use to stitch the shots together?

9. These images bring back some memories. Well done Vinod.

10. Thank you all for taking the time to comment. I don't know if pictures can do justice to the beauty of the place. :D

Pa, I shot all these in RAW. For most of the shots,in Nikon Capture, I did Auto Brightness and Auto Color Boost as well as changed saturation to Enhanced. Then in Photoshop I sharpened, resized and framed the picture.

SysConsultant, I used a polarizer for all the shots including the panorama, although for panoramas, it is usually not recommended. The sky was deep blue to begin with, the polarizer probably enhanced it. I used PanoramaMaker to stitch the shots together. I had that software on a CD that accompanied my Coolpix 5700 I think.

11. Thanks!

Vinod:

Thanks for sharing your technique and lovely photos.

12. Beautiful comps and colors very well done as are all your photos

13. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Very nice pictures. I especially like the pano. Having used the polarizer did you have trouble getting the seam edges to blend?

All you folks posting pictures from up that way are making the wait unbearable, we don't take our trip until the end of Sept. :)

14. Thanks Mike and Jeff! :D

Jeff, the slight variations caused by the polarizer seems to be handled pretty well by the software I used, PanoramaMaker. I tried using Photomerge in PSCS and it couldn't handle it very well. Hope you have a good trip. That entire area is beautiful. I drove 2100 miles starting at Salt Lake City, but it was worth it. :)

15. spectacular shots Vinod. Wow!

16. Vinod, I am pretty sure that your shots REALLY make justice to the place

17. Amazing photos Venod! The color saturation/boost/enhancement works well!

18. Thanks Harris, Jorge and Panos...appreciate your comments :)

19. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Composition was very good on each image. I love Yellowstone and you brought it back again.