Yellowstone/Grand Tetons

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by JustinD, Jul 26, 2008.

1. The wildlife in Yellowstone was as advertised. Phenomenal experiences to be had being 20 feet from a bison or watching a black bear play with and toss a good sized tree limb around before trotting off into the forest. The Tetons delivered on the scenery and Wyoming in general was pretty awesome with regards to the beauty that nature has to offer.

This bear completely disregarded the 100+ people that had pulled over to the side of the road to watch him feed on some plant

yellowstone1bear.gif

As with the above bear this bison lazily observed the humans that had gathered to watch a pretty good sized herd pass through a grazing field

View attachment 227151

Another member of the herd I mentioned above

View attachment 227152

This bull bison let me get as close as I dared and after 15 minutes he finally lifted his head from his meal and posed

View attachment 227153

A pamphlet from one of the Yellowstone visitor centers informed us that this was the most photographed area of the park - North Falls viewed from Artist Point

View attachment 227154

The geothermal activity in Yellowstone is very unique. I didn't have much time and was traveling with a group of people none to sympathetic to photographic pursuits (early mornings, calculated compositions, taking pictures of "nothing") so I didn't have the chance to explore much of any of the colorful deposits that are around some of the geyers, but, Old Faithful made it onto the itinerary

View attachment 227155

During the summer of 1988 wildfires in Yellowstone National Park destroyed many trees. Twenty years later many of the trees that were burnt are still standing, bare and devoid of any foliage or bark, amongst the regenerated forest.

View attachment 227156

South into Grand Teton National Park

View attachment 227157

A road leading into Jenny Lake

View attachment 227158

I think these are the Cathedral Peaks

View attachment 227159

Both parks are worth a visit and I wish I would have had more time to spend there.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2008
  2. Great pictures Justin, you guys have some spectacular national parks in the US. One day I’m gonna get a D700 & a 17-35 and come over there and photograph them. :biggrin:

3. Justin: You have beautiful shots in this series that clearly illustrate the beauty of both Parks. I will assume the light was harsh, understandable since you were with a group and could not do exactly what photographers do when we are alone or a group with the same interest.
    I noticed, at least for my taste, that some of the shots can benefit from using burning-in to improve contrast and details. I also noticed that those files I looked at in my computer did not have an embedded color profile. I guess you forgot to convert them to sRGB for use in the web!
    Anyway, expecting you will not get mad at me, I used one of the pictures to prove my points and burned it in with a 10% intensity to bring detail and contrast in foreground and background. I also burned-in the bison just a bit to accentuate the dark fur.
    I hope you like the difference.
    William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

yellowstone3buffalo2.gif

4. You won't be disappointed if you do.

Thanks, William - I think you deleted the file though. Also - this monitor that I'm using hasn't been calibrated and I'm not used to it so that might be an issue as well.

5. wonderful stuff Justin! Glad you got to go there. Are you back in the states for good?

6. beautiful area, justin
    very nice shooting

i appreciate you sharing these with us

7. Amazing

I love the last three pictures :smile:

8. I deleted the file from my album at Photobucket since obviously, it is yours and not mine. That, unfortunately removed the file from the post.
    Anyway, calibrate your monitor as the first step in your workflow. That along will improve your photography and it is the best way to insure that your prints and monitor will work together.
    William.

9. Not for good, no, but with places like these to see it's getting harder to get motivated to go back!

Thanks, Greg

The Tetons are spectacular.

10. CurtisBilly

CurtisBilly

Mar 22, 2008
    Cincinnati
    I am gearing up for a trip there the first week of October. I justified a D700 purchase for this "trip of a lifetime".

11. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Great stuff Justin. I can't wait to get back to the states and take another trip to Yellowstone.

12. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Wonderful photos. I live about 2 hours away from both of these parks. Even then, I don't get there nearly enough. I haven't been to Yellowstone at all this year.