Yellowstone trip in mid-May...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sypher, Aug 5, 2007.

1. sypher

sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country
    Anybody have suggestions on books to read? It has been about 10 yrs since I was last there, but I have some ideas of what I want to shoot. I'm going to have the family along, so it isn't going to be just me taking my time, which is why I would like to read some books plan it out so I can be at the right place at the right time (yeah right :rolleyes:).

2. Hi Brian

You should do some research on Lemar valley which is in the North-East corner of the park. This part of the park is slightly off the beaten path and has an amazing 'collection' of animal life:
    http://www.ylwstone.com/lamar.html
    If you're willing to get up real early in the morning you might spot some wolves from the road. Bring 10x (or higher) binos or better yet a spotting scope. Make sure you contact the local park rangers before setting out on foot through this area. Lots of hungry critters around.

My wife spotted a grizzly there this morning (Sun 08-05-2005) feeding on a carcass. :eek:

Regards
    JohnG

3. yamo

yamo

Jun 28, 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Brian,

Greetings. I don't have any books to recommend but I highly recommend what they call Yellowstone Ed-ventures. It's kinda like renting a natualist for a day... See:

http://www.yellowstoneassociation.org/institute/wildlife.aspx

We went last year and got to watch a wolf pack for about an hour, very cool. I'd guess they could show you photography locations (I didn't take it up until after our trip...) and such. Anyway, I highly recommend...

Also, recall, it be cold in Yellowstone, dress warm.

Cheers,

-Yamo-

4. yamo

yamo

Jun 28, 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ah, just saw John's post, the wolf pack in Lamar valley (the Druid pack) has disintegrated somewhat... We saw Mollie's pack just south of Tower falls...ask a ranger about the story about the Druid pack... it's fascinating stuff.

http://www.wolftracker.com/Packs/index.htm

Lamar valley is very cool, though. The Yellowstone Institute is based there.

Cheers,

-Yamo-

5. sypher

sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country
    John,
    last time I was there I happened to be in the Lamar valley at dusk, and saw a couple of wolves not to far away from a herd of buffalo. It was interesting to watch them testing the defenses of the buffalo.
    My sister teaches dog obedience, and one evening after class she was talking with one of her students. They got talking about yellowstone, and come to find out we were going to be out there about the same time (2yrs ago). Her student was going out to celebrate a friends birthday, he just happened to be the head biologist over the wolf program. She gave my sister his name and number and told her to call him up, and he would probably take us out. Well...long story short I got ran over by an 18 wheeler two weeks before we were supposed to go out, and we didn't end up going. So hopefully nothing comes up this time, and hopefully we can get in contact with him, and he can take us out for a "closer" look at the wolves!
    This was my original reason for wanting and getting the 200-400

6. sypher

sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country
    Yamo,
    this looks very interesting...I will definetly have to look into this a little more. Thanks for the link

7. Brian,

Any specific ideas on the type of shooting you want to do?

Sean

8. almostgem

almostgem Guest

Just got back

Hi,

We just got back from a trip where Yellowstone was one of our highlights.
    In Yellowstone, we saw pronghorn, lots of Bison, lots of Elk, a couple of Moose, and a Black Bear and her cub. All this in 2 days. The Black Bear we saw on the Western side of the park, on a loop road, probably about 5 miles north of Old Faithful - it's one way, and dirt where I was glad that I rented a truck with 4-wheel drive. I don't have my map handy right now ... but will post an update when I figure out where my wife put the maps etc. My Avatar was from the morning of our second day where we came across a group of about 15 Elk grazing at the North Entrance of the park. My wife and I are already planning a return trip with much more focus to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons. Truly magical !

9. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    Hey Brian,

I can highly recommend a book titles, "Photographer's Guide to Yellowstone and the Tetons", authored by Joseph K. Lange and published by Stackppole Books. ISBN #978-0-8117-2895-9

It's not your typical 'Yellowstone Guidebook' as he deals with getting away from the crowds, avoiding the often seen compositions, rules & regs, techniques, and equipment/clothing preparation.

I think you'd find it most useful and insightful. The author's captures are worth the cost of the book alone.

I've recommended this publication to friends all over the country as I get many queries relative to doing the parks on holiday.

If you are unable to acquire a copy, drop me a note as I think I have a spare or two.

Good luck and enjoy the greatest playgrounds in the country! I'm headed back up next week for some backcountry camping and paddling :)

10. I will be there next may for 1-2 weeks. Fortunately I will be with someone that spends a month or so there every spring. enjoy your trip. It appears to be one of the premeier photo ops on the continent

11. Toby D

Toby D

Mar 7, 2006
    Iowaay
  12. sypher

sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country
    Sean I will be happy if all I get are some decent photos of a wolf. Mostly wildlife is what I would like: wolves, moose, bears,...but with two kids three and under I don't know how well that is going to work out:confused:. I also would like to hike above old faithful and get some shots looking down on it as it is "erupting."
    I would also like to try my hand and some waterfalls, not necessarily the upper and lower falls, but smaller falls (cascading falls?).
    Unfortunatley a lot is going to depend on the kids. So, any suggestions would be great to maximise my chances of bringing home some keepers.
    Holmes,
    thank you. I will see what I can do about locating a copy, and will take you up on your offer if I am unable to find one.

13. sypher

sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country
    Toby,
    you don't think if I run into a bear my 200-400 won't work very well:biggrin::biggrin:.
    I had forgotten about the lake, I am sure that would make a very nice sunrise/set photo op.

14. sypher

sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country
    John,
    It sounds like you had a whirl wind trip. I would be interested in finding out where it was you ran into the bears.
    Dave,
    that would be nice to be with someone who is very familiar with the park. I wish my trip was going to be longer, but...

15. yamo

yamo

Jun 28, 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA
    When we saw the wolves last year, the closest we got was about two miles but could see them through the naturalist's scope. Uh, you'll probably want a 2X TC for your 200-400...

Or there's the Grizzly & Wolf Discovery Center, if you'll be in West Yellowstone. They have, well, Grizzlys and wolves there and you can see them up close (the only bears we saw on the trip). The kids can, too!

http://www.grizzlydiscoveryctr.com/

Cheers,

-Yamo-

16. sypher

sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country
    Yamo,
    thanks again. We will actually be staging out of west yellowstone! I am sure that my 3yr old will love it!