1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Yellowstone wonder

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by alemmo, Aug 14, 2009.

1. alemmo

alemmo

Sep 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    I just spent 7 days in Yellowstone with my wife, our first ever trip. It was amazing. I took a lot of pictures, i am still in Wyoming, we are enjoying a couple days of relaxation at the Snake River Resort and Spa in Jackson, Wyoming.

I'm still sorting through the pictures but i have put some up already to share with family. If you would like to view it is at this link:
    http://www.lemmophoto.com/f428901287

I learned a lot on the trip and saw so much wildlife. I found many limitations with my D90 for some reason it was not focusing as well on the moving animals as I was getting with the D700. I also realized my largest limitation was $$$$$. My largest lens is a 300mm F4 and a 1.4x extender. A 300mm 2.8 with 1.7 or a 500mm F4 would have been awesome but i had to make due with what i had. Maybe next time when i have a bit more disposable income :) 

Anyway i was able to partake in the free Canon Workshop at Old Faithful, i got to with a small group led by Pro Photographer George Lepp. My wife and I had a fun time with that, Canon gave us all equipment to use during the 2 hour workshop, i chose to stick with my D700, my wife got to use a 50D which she later told me she did not like and preferred the Nikon D90 and D700 :biggrin:

We got to see Grizzlies, a wolf, moose, coyote, pronghorn, bison, black bear, elk, deer, bald eagles, osprey, pelicans..... and on and on it was amazing.

I actually had a bit of a tense moment with the black bear, my wife and I spotted it from the road in a river bed in the Lamar Valley, there was no pull out to park the car off the road(i hate people who would park their car on the road and cause a traffic jam). So we drove about 1/8 mile down the road to a turn out and parked the car. Then i swiftly made my way back up towards the bear with tripod and camera in hand. Setup and noticed i lost track of the bear :eek:  Well out he comes from the bushes maybe 200 yards away.. i look back and see how far my car is and think hmm if this bear gets mad there is no way i'm making it back to the car. Anyway he was more interested in eating then in me and i was able to keep backtracking from him and able to let other vehicles know he was about to cross the road.

I took most of my long shots of animals with the D90 with 300mm F4 attached and 1.4x but i didn't find many sharp pictures even with tripod, i'm a little concerned i'll have to run some tests when i get home on fixed subjects. The D700 usually had the 17-35 2.8 or 80-200mm 2.8 AFS attached and it performed great.

Well that's all for now...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2009
  2. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Sounds like a neat trip and free workshop! Did you run into "KR" while you were there? I think he wrote at his site that he was checking it out too mentioning Yellowstone and George Lepp. Post some photos! :smile:

3. alemmo

alemmo

Sep 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    haha that's funny... Rockwell wasn't in my group though. I was in the Saturday morning group. He may have been Friday or Saturday afternoon. I didn't run into him at all in the park either but then again i was busy looking for other wildlife than Ken :smile:

4. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    LOL! :tongue: Yeah I think he was in the Sat afternoon group.

5. Speaking of visitors; President Obama should be in the park tomorrow - he was here today for a town meeting and then headed to Big Sky before visiting YNP over the weekend.

I can't seem to get the gallery to load....I see thumbnails but it won't load the full size images.

Sean

6. alemmo

alemmo

Sep 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    hmm it shows about 55 images have loaded now, i am exporting about 80. It is taking a while, the hotel wifi isn't quite as fast as home. Might be best to wait to view them tomorrow morning.

Where are you in the Yellowstone area? This is like photographer heaven. Told my wife i would love to move out here, so much more peaceful and beautiful than the greater Baltimore area :smile:

7. Sounds like you're having a great time Andrew! #9 looks awesome!

8. Garth

Garth

Jan 25, 2009
    Lancashire. UK.
    We here had a BBC documentary on the seasons in Yellowstone, that was one awesome series and a definite saver on the VR. Would love to visit.

9. boyscout

boyscout

Mar 19, 2009
    Toronto
    Nice Andrew. I was there for three days recently - not nearly enough - and bet that your seven days didn't seem like enough either. A month - with the park closed to all other visitors :)  - would be nice.

10. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Consider renting. The counter argument is always "why pay for something you don't own" but then again why pay $5000 for using a lens for two trips per year if you can do it for $250?

11. I hope you will make plans to spend some time in Grand Teton National Park. Animals there are also plentiful but it is very good for landscape photography.
    The D700, D3 and D300 have the most advanced AF system in Nikons ever. It is the CAM-3500 that is very fast acquiring focus and tracking although it works best with the D3. I have not used a D90 so I cannot tell you much about it but its AF should be what you could expect from a camera at its level.
    The camera I reach for when I am going to photograph birds in flight and wildlife is the D2H. The CAM-2000 in these cameras (D2H,D2Hs,D2X and F6) is pretty fast also but I have not done comparisons to determine which one of them is faster, CAM-2000 or 3500. All I can tell you is that the D2H has served me very well when I have required a fast AF.
    Be wise when you use your money. If you do not do this often a long, costly lens will not find enough use to justify the expense. I am in total agreement with the gentleman that suggested to rent instead of buying.
    You should check your D90 just in case but I would not be surprised if it demonstrated normal behaviour. To stick with the DX format you will be better served using the D300.
    I had the time to look at the beautiful thumbnails. It was taking too long to load larger sizes.

William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

12. alemmo

alemmo

Sep 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    Hi William we also spent a couple of days exploring the Grand Teton National Park as well. It is quite beautiful as well. I didn't run into as many animals here but the landscape opportunities are plentiful. As far as renting the large lenses go, for 7 days it can get pretty pricey over $500+ easy, so i will most likely just save up for either a 300mm 2.8 or 500mm. Whatever i get will be used at home as well, i don't have any problem making an investment in good glass as they tend to hold their value anyway.

I also plan on getting a D300 to replace the D90 at some point. I am going to check the D90 at home to see if it is a camera/lens issue or just a limitation of the autofocus system in a tough environment.

13. Ok, the gallery seems to be working better now. What a great August to come visit - we've had such bad wildfires the last few years so I'm glad it gave it a rest this year.

We're NW of the park in Bozeman. It's about 40 minutes drive through Gallatin Canyon to the west side of YNP, and about an hour drive down to Gardiner to the N. entrance.

Sean

14. alemmo

alemmo

Sep 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    Oh ok, We drove up to Gardiner, wasn't much there at all and decided to drive back into the park and stopped at the Boiling River where my wife took a dip in the water, a small group of Elk joined me by the side of the water it was a neat experience.

I would love to live so close to the park. Never made it up to Bozeman, but Jackson is awfully nice although overrun with tourists.

15. We lived in Jackson before we moved here; yeah, it's like living in a giant hotel with people coming and going with the seasons; 10 people crammed into one apartment for ski season, etc.

16. i to had focus issues with my D90, I just got it back from nikon and it is much better.

I'll will be posting pictures up tonight

if the lenses are loose on the camera mount i'd bet $5 you have an issue. They had to replace my mount

17. Chad

Chad

Jan 25, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Wow, I particularly like the hot springs pictures.

~Chad

18. alemmo

alemmo

Sep 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    That's kind of what I am afraid of. It was really depressing getting back home at night after taking what i thought were really great images of grizzly, coyote, bison etc only to find that most of them were not sharp at all. I thought at first it might be that i was a bit shaky handholding even though i kept the shutter at over 1/1000 when handheld but one's on tripod were the same way.

I will definetly be doing some things differently when we come again, i was actually eyeing up an Orvis fishing vest which i think would be much better to carry my lenses when walking around than my camera bag was.

I actually wouldn't look out of place at all walking around this area with a fishing vest :)  Now back home in Baltimore it would be a bit harder to pull off :biggrin:

19. alemmo

alemmo

Sep 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    Thanks Chad glad you enjoyed, i'll be putting up some more when i get home, i have a lot of pictures to go through.

20. alemmo

alemmo

Sep 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    Well i added some HDR's to the list. I did about 15 of them this trip. this was basically my first time with HDR and I think some of them turned out ok.

A link to all 15 http://www.lemmophoto.com/p969815710

And a couple i liked

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and here's to you Ken Rockwell :) 

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.