Yes, another D80 vs D200 thread

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Pianisimo, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Pianisimo

Pianisimo Guest

I know there are plenty of them. And I think I know both of these cameras fairly well.

Basically, I want to upgrade my D50 to one of these. I would choose the D80 in a heartbeat, but...my dad already has a D80. He doesn't want to sell it or anything, but he really doesn't ever use it. I use it whenever I feel like it and I like it. Should I bother getting another one? Would two D80's be pointless? It seems like a good idea to get a D200 for the faster fps and better body but it seems a bit big for me. Aaaand since the D90 is coming soon, D80 prices will drop even farther. So I'm not sure where to put my money. Truthfully, I think I should get a 80-200 2.8 before I upgrade to a better camera. But by October or November, D80 prices might be in the $400's (one here already sold for $475, and it had some extras) and I wouldn't have to add that much to what I'd make off of my D50 to afford one. What should I do?!?:confused:

Another option would be a D2H for around $600 (just not sure I shoot enough sports to justify this), and use my dad's camera whenever because he doesn't touch it. What do you guys think?

2. Oscar M

Oscar M

Jun 25, 2008
    New York
    Hold off for a while

Forget about the D2x, if you are concerned about the D200 being too big, the D2x is huge by comparison. Buy glass if you feel you must buy something. Why bother buying a body when it sounds like you have full access to a d80 already. Just my two cents.

3. I just went from a D50 to a D200. And if felt huge, I really thought it was too big. But after a couple of days of shooting it felt fine. You adapt quickly and now I prefer it to the D50. Just my .02 worth. But with easy access to the D80 you might just want to follow Oscar's advice.

4. CoOokie

CoOokie

May 4, 2008
    Poland
    I would wait and buy D90. It'll be probably the best choice for you - more FPS than D80 and not so big. Just my $/50.

5. keko

keko

Jul 20, 2007
    Barcelona
    The D50 is a veryspecial camera in many ways, and difficult to substitute.

The D200 has more features, better built but also more noise and a so-so jpg engine.

A D90 is around the corner, probably with near D300 IQ and loads of features.

6. Kemnik

Kemnik

Aug 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    I've owned a D40, D80, D200 and D300 and I just think they are all great. But as you can see from my previous sentence, there is a trend to upgrade. I would suggest getting the best camera you can for the money. Right now, that is a used D200 in my opinion. I don't know the specs for the upcoming D90, so it may have features important to you. Although it will command top dollar since it will be new. I mean I'm sure it will be around 1,000 bucks for the body and you can get a used D300 for 1,300!! That is a lot more camera for 300 bucks difference. And the D300 will allow you to shoot at 8FPS if you ever do want to shoot sports (I think you mentioned someday wanting to do that).

7. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    agree
    every time I think I should sell mine,I take it out and remember why I sold my D80 instead of it

8. "Common knowledge", or have you owned one? I'm a jpeg shooter, and have been happy with the d200's engine. Noise isn't too bad at iso1250, either.

100864197.gif

Sure. And it will come with the new AF-S version of the 85/1.4 that was rumored to be around the corner in 2005 :rolleyes:.

9. paradiddle

paradiddle

Jun 1, 2007
    U.S.A
    With full access to a D80 I would save my money. Buy lens.

10. I agree, if you have access to a D80, go with it and concentrate on the glass, it makes more difference then the body does. If you wanted your own camera, then I would suggest a used D200, they are going for great prices right now, I just picked one up for under $700, and for that price or even $800 its a steal. I have read a lot about the differences between the D200-D300 and for those who shoot low light, its huge, so they say, much more capable of higher ISO's then the D200 if you need to go there, otherwise for me its not worth almost double what you can get a used D200 for.

11. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

u can use your daddy's d80 anytime u want? wear it out pal!

;-)))

12. keko

keko

Jul 20, 2007
    Barcelona

13. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

14. Pianisimo

Pianisimo Guest

I also have found the D50's noise to be a lot less than the D40X/D60(?)/D80/D200 sensor in general, and while I'm not going to compare it to the D300 or D700/D3 sensors, it wouldn't surprise me that you found that at all. It's a fantastic little camera.

I think I'm gonna stick with the glass. Thanks guys! : )

(But - DUN DUN DUN - I'm still not really sure I NEED a tele for my kind of work...I might buy a '55 S2 rangefinder :D)

15. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    D200 just feels too big and heavy, and ISO1600 stinks badly.

16. babaman001

babaman001

Jul 26, 2008
    NZ
    Hi there, I thought about upgrading my D50 too but maybe later in the future..

I had a play with my friend's D80, to me it is not much different to the D50 (More similarities than differences). I would upgrade to D200 for better build, quick buttons access and faster fps.

Or like everyone said, buy some more lenses.

Good luck with your final decision.

17. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    I would rather wait for the D90 for its better image quality and ability to record movies with superb Nikkor lenses.

18. Man up.

Nikon D200 1/125s f/5.0 at 85.0mm iso1600
    original.gif

19. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    You shot me!

20. Kemnik

Kemnik

Aug 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA