YES IT'S TRUE, Nikon D200 is here!!! (PHOTOS: LARGE POST!!!)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Panos Kazanelis, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    That looks sweet!

But I'm in a mood tonight so allow me a kvetch, K? Where is the little screw hole in the 'fire' button to screw a cable release into?

The big LCD looks great, the kit lens is crazy cool, I take it M A S P is on the 'Mode' button now, and what's the Cl and Ch wheel on the bottom of the left side dial. All the back controls are where they should be, except what's that 'Pac-Man' symbol where the trash can should be?

The 'AF-on' button on the back will be welcome by some. And what's the diopter correction range on the wheel now instead of slider. I'm within one click of max on the D100 - does this have enough?

On the front, what's the button above the DOF preview, and it looks like the MF switch is sideways compared to the D100.

Does the camera look shorter than the D100? And doesn't that macro flash unit look , uh :redface: ... , nevermind. I hope to be able to afford these things soon.

2. Callie

Callie Guest

I think it is a lock, normally this sign is used for a "door" that opens and close
    My guess.

3. They better release a grip! :confused: :Teeth:

4. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I guess you have to remember the film days and the F4 and F5. CL is continuous low (speed) and CH is continuous high (speed).

5. What about the Cs... continuous silent!!!

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

7. Panos, give us a review once you work with it, please? I hope it's what you want/need. I'm sure someone will be upset with something about it's features. Lincoln, our 16th president was right. "You can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time. But you can't please all of the people all of the time."

Good luck. Rich

8. Looks pretty cool, but your links to the Nikon UK site don't lead to any mention of a D200. They must have taken it down already.

Maybe it will be official next week.

The blogspot link suggests a price of $1999.99 for the body. Anybody seen any prices for the new 18-200 VR? That is of more interest to me.

9. Luke on DPR did a size comparison of the D200 (from the circulating, supposed images) to a D50, using the 2" vs. 2.5" LCD screen for scale. [​IMG] The D200 appears to be very close to a D70 in size.

I never really took to the larger D2-size body, so I'm glad it seems to be D70-sized. I'll be downright ecstatic if it truly has some version of the Multi-CAM 2000 AF. 10 mp, even 8mp, would be fine for me. Mechanical release would have been nice, but it doesn't appear to be the case.

I just hope the proceeds from my recent D2H sale cover the bulk of the D200's price.

Glenn

10. No doubt. I've already read mumblings about the apparent small size viewfinder.

It would be nice if this used the same batteries as the D2 series but I read somewhere that it will use a variant of the D100/D70 battery. Hauling around several sets of batteries and chargers isn't what I'd prefer to do but I guess some will like the lighter weight of the smaller battery. There are always tradeoffs and it's impossible to please all.

11. Pretty cool overall. I am interested to hear what the actual price is gonna be. And real specs. I know it is wierd but, I hope the viewfinder is nice and big and I will be interested. I struggle with the viewfinder on my D70s. My eyesight sucks to begin with.

Oh and I see it has "PacMan" Mode. The little switch on the lower bottom right. :biggrin:

12. fid...

fid...

Oct 20, 2005
    Paris
    Hi Pa,

They seemed to take the stuff of the UK Nikon site a couple of hours after I posted the link on the dpreview site.

I guess someone realised that the site was getting a bit too much traffic for a Tuesday morning and realised. Either that or someone heard the news about the pictures getting out.

Either way, there are many people that managed to download the pictures and host on other sites before they removed them, so I am sure you can find the images somewhere else.

Ohh, as for the price, I don't know where this came from, the page I found this morning was just thumbnail pictures, no price info. Steve on dpreview fround the big pictures from the thumbnails, but I don't think he found any price info either.

Take care,

Mark.

13. Looks neat! But what I find even more intriguing is that twin flash.
    Cheers

14. Chris,

Isn't it on the side?

15. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Mechanical release vs Electronic

There is a difference, the mechanical release is just like your finger, uses mechanical pressure to press the shutter button, which in turn, is an electrical switch (with two positions, the first "1/2 press" and full activation). The electronic cable release plugs into the camera's remote socket and becomes a second shutter button. You half press to focus, then full press to take the photo. The advantage here is that the electronic connections don't create any vibrations where the mechanical release potentially can. The other advantage is to Nikon, they can sell you the electronic cable release for big $$$. They make much more profit on the accessories than the bodies.
    On a different subject, I called Nikon to ask about the batteries. Seems the older EN-EL3 from the D100 and D70 can be used in the D70s (and D200 presumably). The newer battery, the EN-EL3a that comes with the D70s (or is an option) can be used backward to the D70 and D100.
    If what I read is true, I'm happy, they have retained the EH5 power supply for the D200, at least I will be able to clean it. Waiting to hear the official announcement, which should have the price and availability!

16. Callie

Callie Guest

Panos
    From a dealer friend here in SA :
    Will launch 1 November
    He recons they will have it in the shop then
    10 MP, 5 F/s
    Remote 10 pin? cable like old F90 and F100
    Maybe R18 000.00
    Thats just over 2000 Euro, but we still have import duty as well. My name is down.
    No price yet on the VR zoom.
    Regards

17. Great news Callie...
    I'll be in London for some business on the 1st Tuesday till 3rd Thursday, with any luck and nice prices I might be getting an English girl with me back home...

{I've always considered my most precious things such camera, jeep, computer..., as Girls :wink:}