1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Yesterday was not my day

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lurker, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Yesterday was one of those days where I should have stayed in bed. All day long. :D epressed

First I had promised my sister to pick her and her boyfriend up from the hotel to drop them off at the mall. We're very insecure about the ferry. Why don't you pick us up at the hotel instead?. Driving into NYC on a Saturday morning at 7:30 isn't that much of a deal, but I had preferred to sleep 30 minutes longer (15 minutes extra to get in the city, 15 minutes extra to get out...)

Then I went to my sons karate class to see the demonstration he would do at a nearby charity event. This was the first time I was told that the demo was at 11:30 and not slightly after 10 as was suggested earlier. Grrreat, as I'd pick up my sister at 12. Thank god I gave them prepaid cell phones so I could inform them about the change of plans.

I had switched camera bags. Not a good idea - all my memory cards were in the other bag and of course I had the card I use for products shots of my wife's business (straight jpg as I control the light and everything) - a measly 512 MB. My wife is fairly computer illiterate and I don't always have the time or energy to copy the images to her hard drive. So I'd rather use an old small card for her shots, then a newer larger one. This is one of those days were I cursed that plan because I never put a large card back in the camera.

So here I am with a single 512MB card. Obviously shooting raw is out of the question. And jpg is soooo much fun with light changing from overcast to sunny to overcast to... To make things easy, the whole scene was backlit. I'm not unhappy with the results though.

2915406408_2547c583b2. 2914562671_3ee01471a0.

The rest of the afternoon was one big blur with picking up family, feeding them, entertaining them, dropping them off, my son demanding toys, etc.

Finally, at night, as I'm reorganizing my camera bags, I see what appears to be a filter at the bottom of my D40 bag. How that one got out of it's little box and slided to the other half of the bag I don't know, but I'd better get it, right? So I grab it and now I discover I'm holding the front element of my 18-135 in my grubby paws. :eek: 
    Apparently Mr. 18-135 didn't take the fall it took a few months ago (thanks mrs. coworker!) so well as I thought it did. So I clean the glass (fingerprints on the rear aaaaaaaargh) and see if I can push it back in. Does that look straight? I'm thinking, as I hold the lens vertical to observe it better. Well apparently not because now the front element flops over inside the barrel to a 45 degree angle, conveniently stopped by the next element. AAAAAARGH! SCRATCH!

I finally got the front element back in place (trust me I was not in the mood to take pictures of the disaster) and decided not to worry too much about the minute scratches (two parallel light scratches, each about 3mm long) on the second element - it shouldn't show up in the picture. Maybe a bit of ghosting or extra flare if I'm not careful, but that should be it. Given that the 18-135 is a cheap lens to start with, replacing will likely be cheaper than sending it to Nikon service anyway.

But I really should have stayed in bed yesterday.

2. That bites! If it's any consolation the karate class pics are quite nice. If the karate class runs out of pine boards to smash you can always lend them some pre broken camera gear.:biggrin: We all have those days...it was just your turn. It can only get better.......

Cheers

Ted:smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.