Yet another Ai lens (400mm)

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Frits, May 11, 2007.

1. I like my Ai-S 300mm f/2.8 but wanted a bit more focal length.
    I find the Ai(S) 400mm f/2.8 a bit too heavy to drag around. After some thinking I ended up getting an Ai 400mm f/3.5 - much easier on my wallet also!

It arrived today. Physically it is much like my Ai-S 300mm f/2.8, just a tad longer.

My very first shot with it (just a test really), quickly in my back yard (with a TC 1.4)

D2x, Nikkor Ai 400mm f/3.5 (wide open) + TC-14E (modified)
  2. Very nice Frits. Looks like a keeper.
  3. Most excellent lens, Frits! I have found it works extremely well with a TC301 but you found otherwise. apparently, the D2x plays a role in this. Is it pixel density or the D2X alone? We'll know when the D3 series cameras come out.

It's a great lens and I'm very glad for you! Now we'll have to go shoot some birds one day!
  4. Yes Nenad, I was surprised to see the result with the TC-301. At least it works real well with the TC-14A.

Ahhh, we'll turn into birders yet....:smile:
  5. Wow, Frits that looks awesome! After I recover from paying the tax man, I am looking forward to putting a Katz Eye screen in one of my bodies and picking up a few shorter AI lenses.

...and there is that tank of a ballhead we had discussed, too. I really is a large piece, isn’t it?
  6. A great lens! I just sold mine but I may get another someday. The only lens that I found to be as good with the 2x as without. Actually, I just tried the 300mmf2.8HSM/2x combo and that is right up there too.
  7. Frits, that is a great lens! I've had mine for a while now and I enjoy it very much. Congrats on getting a great lens.

God Bless,
  8. Interesting! I tried a lens like this with a Nikon TC-301 2X on my D2x and found it to be quite soft.... Which 2X did you use it with and which DSLR?

I have a TC-201 that I will try with it. Although made for shorter lenses, I found it to work quite OK with my Ai-S 300mm f/2.8 and expect the same for this lens. Ahhh, all the fun I'm having with these oldies for a fraction of the cost of today's versions - gotta love it!! :biggrin:

It truly is an outstanding head Mason. Built to the highest specs, rock solid, yet buttery smooth to operate. I would not change it for anything.