(yet another)Clipped Wing Snowy Owl

Real Name
Dan
One more from the files. Left wing was clipped but tack sharp with those great eyes. So I cropped it a bit tighter to look like it was intentional :)

D500, 500 f4
1/1600 f5.6 ISO500

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Dan
Clipped wings don't matter on this one as the poi is not the owl but the eyes. Great job Dan.
Thanks, Allan. I agree about the POI. In a way it was fortuitous that I clipped it. That avoided the dilemma of whether to present the full bird or to crop.
It definitely works on this image. I know the prevailing wisdom by many is NO CLIPPED WINGS, but in my opinion they work quite effectively on certain images, this being one of them. Terrific job.
Thanks, Louie. I've become a fan of what I call BIF portraits. Something a little different and presents a different aspect of the bird.
lovely exposure, geeze, spot on and nice detail.
Thanks for commenting, Darrell. Exposure in this case was well above metered. ETTR with blinkies as a guide worked quite well.

The eyes (or is it ayes?) have it! I'm still marvelling how you can get tack sharp images of a flying bird at 1/1600 sec. I can't seem tobe able to do it at 2x the shutter speed.

Real Name
Dan
...I'm still marvelling how you can get tack sharp images of a flying bird at 1/1600 sec. I can't seem tobe able to do it at 2x the shutter speed.
Then I'd suggest you have something other than motion blur going on. I often shoot eagles in flight as low as 1/1000s with no problems.
I really like the crop and composition and you nailed the focus too, well done!
Thanks, Andreas.
Stunning image! Kudos for the superb capture!!!! And I like the crop!
Thanks, Karen.
Great comp and focus! Stunning shot!
Thanks, Dossy. Unfortunately a few previous frames in the sequence were slightly OOF when the bird was more straight on. I think it was just moving too fast for the camera/lens to keep up. In this shot the bird had started to flare away and relative motion toward the camera was slightly slower.
Very dramatic composition.
Thanks, Mike. Interesting how opening the mind to other possibilities can turn previous culls into nice images :)
BEAUTIFUL
Glad you enjoyed it.

If this is a familiar place and the snowy is a regular in the area, I would suggest next time try to attach a wider angle lens to the camera, maybe a 70-200 might do the trick. This is where the 200-500mm would have come in handy
Great image nonetheless.

This was shot at 200mm with the 200-500mm, the bird got so close to me that if I only had one focal length like 500mm I would have surely clipped some part of it.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Real Name
Dan
...I would suggest next time try to attach a wider angle lens to the camera, maybe a 70-200 might do the trick. This is where the 200-500mm would have come in handy
Great image nonetheless.

This was shot at 200mm with the 200-500mm, the bird got so close to me that if I only had one focal length like 500mm I would have surely clipped some part of it.
View attachment 1636307
We makes our choices and we takes our chances. I guess I've been blessed to stumble into a decent image now and then in spite of myself :confused:
It is stunning indeed ! Congrats Dan.
Thanks, Binnur. Glad you enjoyed it.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom