Yikes! Storage decision coming up quickly.

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Rich Gibson, Jun 16, 2007.

1. I just finished up loading my images from the Toronto trip. Gulp! :eek:

[​IMG]

Anyone make a 1gb SATA drive?

Rich

2. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    I think the biggest I've seen is 750gig, but don't recall for sure. They have 1 Terabyte USB externals that appear to be 2 500's in 1 enclosure. AFAIK, you can do the same thing with an external SATA enclosure.

3. I think LaCie just announced some new SATA drives.

4. That is really too close Rich. I would reccomend not going within 10% of full if you can. 750GB sata drives are readily available now.

5. Thanks. I think I'll start over on the one in the Mac Pro ("Images Part II") since I have four complete copies of all the images.

Rich

6. photoshooter

photoshooter Guest

I think LaCie has a 1 terrabyte, that will mirror.
    It is 2 500 gig.

Excellent for archive and backup.

7. Thanks. I am not a advocate for mirroring or raid though. The one time I did it, even with a hardware controller, both drives were trashed and unrecoverable. Fortunately I had multiple backups and didn't lose anything. I have converted an Antec case and former Intel PC motherboard ginned into a gigabyte NAS file server using NAS Lite software. It can copy 57 gb across the LAN in 21 minutes. I'm already using four IDE drives. I believe I'll go out tomorrow and buy a 500GB SATA from Micro Center here in NoVA. The case will handle four SATA drives in addition to the four IDE drives. The unit has been humming nicely since November without missing a heartbeat.

Rich

8. They aren't. I have a PC case carcass with a motherboard and CPU located in the basement. All the drives are installed in the (now Unix) computer which has a gigabit interface card installed in it. It is physically separated from my MacBook Pro.

Rich

9. billg71

billg71

May 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Hitachi is now offering a 1Tb Deskstar: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145141

Or the Seagate 750Gb Barracuda : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148152

I've had great reliability from my older Deskstars. The Seagate comes with a 5-year warranty and is reported to be extremely reliable. I have 2 now but they're only a month old or so so I can't say anything for their reliability, but I like the 5-year warranty. The Hitachi carries a 3-year warranty.

Bill

10. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    I've never been interested in Raid either , but this new device ( Drobo ) seems really promising Rich. At least it's really worth reading about !

11. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    Raid can be a pain, but I know it saved me just 2 weeks ago. My tower has 5 SATA-2 drives. One for the OS and 4 that are stripped and mirrored. One of the four died. I lost nothing but some time.

12. Great. Howeve I will remain with my independent drives. As for storage yesterday I read a PC magazine article by my favorite curmudgeon, Dvorak. He finally sees things my way and said that NAS is the wave of the future because you can reand write both PC and Mac files. He referred to a NAS device 'MyStorage" as I recall, by Hammer which is a 1TB NAS case with a gigabyte interface for $500. I've been promoting NAS for six months now. Of course with the Antec case I'm using I can fit in four more 500gb SATA drive for that same amount.

:wink:

Thanks, Rich

13. I am with you on not getting into RAID but keeping things separate....

I have four 500 GB drives in the Mac Pro and then a couple external G-Technology G-Drives 500 GB drives in addition. The iMac has a 250 GB G-Tech drive attached to it and the MBP has as well, with a portable 80 GB LaCie "Rugged" that goes with it when I'm traveling.

For a long time I didn't pay much attention to the need for backup storage until I started shooting more extensively and one day realized that my iMac was about to choke. It was rapidly filling up, mainly with images from the D200. That prompted me to buy an external drive and dump most of the contents of the iMac to it to give that machine some breathing space. By the time I was ready to buy the Mac Pro I had become convinced of the need for a LOT of extra storage and backup space.

So about three months ago I bought a Buffalo NAS more to try out the whole concept and to use as an easy way of transferring files back-and-forth between machines. Since it is only 250 GB it wouldn't work for storing all of my stuff and I didn't want to use it for that anyway. It worked great -- for about the first two months. Now it isn't working at all and I haven't taken the time to tinker with it, figure out what the problem is, if it's hardware-related or software-related. Sigh... First thing that happened was that the machine was on and I could see the lights but nothing was accessible through any of the computers. Now I don't even see the lights flashing on it. I suspect that a power outage we had here right about that time is related to the problems....

I think I'll stick with my current system of several individual, independent external drives (plus the ones in the Mac Pro) rather than get too heavily invested in something which I still don't quite understand -- NAS.
    Your setup sounds pretty good, though, and it is appealing to have everything encased in a machine which then works hand-in-hand with the Mac Pro -- probably faster than firewire.

14. I simply set up to scale by the number of drives. I have two copies of files not online and three of those I can get at by turning on those drives. About two years worth.

I also live by the motto that a drive can't wear out if it's not turned on. Having all storage online all of the time means some of them will eventually fail.

The only hole in this theory is I only back up once or twice a week. Unless it is a particularly important bunch of photos, then I back up immediately.

I also make the ultimate last back up of files physically safe by keeping them in a fire proof safe. Just simple bare drives. Much cheaper than optical storage.

15. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    A few words about the Hitachi. I bought a SATA 500gig about a month ago. Noisiest drive I've ever had, by far. But, it's fast and so far, seems reliable. The drive was sold as an OEM part. If you buy an OEM Hitachi, go to Hitachi's support web site and download their drive utilities. Two utilities that I found essential were 1) to turn on high speed SATA mode and 2) a quiet mode. What a difference in noise! Very cool stuff. :biggrin:

16. The 1tb Hitachi drive mentioned has been reviewed a lot recently, and from everything I have read, it is an excellent drive. In many benchmarks it beats the 10k rpm WD Raptor drives, the previous SATA speed champions.

If you want to wait, Seagate is supposed to be announcing their version of the 1tb drive sometime in July I believe, and PC enthusiast gossip is saying that it will be the single fastest SATA drive to date. Not to mention, it will have lots of storage :wink:

17. Ghunger

Ghunger

Apr 2, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I see everyone is talking about hard disk storage, but, as a person who is looking into what storage solution I want to use, why don't people use DVD-R's to back up older images? Is it a convenience issue? Just trying to understand.

18. Easy. Each CF card I fill uses 4GB and my DVD records 4.7 GB. I'd have literally hundreds of DVDs...and another digital image management system to track. Since I label all my images 2007-06-27-(000x).NEF etc. I can find any day's shoot in a second or so and don't have to swap DVDs...or print DVD labels.

Thanks, Rich

19. Hard disks are actually cheaper per GB than the best quality DVDRs.