Yikes! Why oh why did I start re-processing?

It started out as an innocuous thought. I recently processed the images for our last trip and exported my top images from Lightroom to my tablets/smartphone and Smugmug. I thought why not go back to my earlier travel shots and pick the best ones and reprocess them? With the Netherlands shots I used noise correction and, profile, color and manual correction and it made quite a difference..and I'd gotten pretty good with sharpening if I say so myself.

The first thing I realized was the older images from the late 1990's need updating to the latest (2012) camera calibration. At first I did them individually then remembered how to do it to my entire travel collection. Then I started to look at the images and wow the old shots had so much color noise. What have I gotten myself into? ..so now I'm up to mid 1999 and thousands of images to go through. Why did I look? I thought these shots were good, but with the latest Lightroom their need for further processing is so evident and LR has the tools needed to bring them up to snuff.

Sigh! :redface:

Yet another reminder that no good deed goes unpunished. I get this urge out of my system by picking one set or "shoot" of pictures from the past, selecting no more than 5 and then have my way with them. I do this about once a week. Dissipates the urge to go back and "improve" everything.

I'm guessing that your photos are just fine. You are just being tempted...:biggrin:

I have a bunch of old prints from the 70s when I grew up. Tempting to have them scanned and then process them but then they wouldn't really be 70s anymore.

It started out as an innocuous thought. ...~snips~. ..so now I'm up to mid 1999 and thousands of images to go through. Why did I look?

Sigh! :redface:

Stop now before you are tempted to go back for re-shoots. :eek:
Personally I gave up trying to update my old images, and now just "enjoy" :rolleyes: viewing my skills progress in both the taking and processing over the years.

This is indeed a serious problem :smile:

Imagine having to re-process 1000s of images every time Lightroom is upgraded. I do find myself fiddling with old photos every so often, after upgrading.

This is indeed a serious problem :smile:

Imagine having to re-process 1000s of images every time Lightroom is upgraded. I do find myself fiddling with old photos every so often, after upgrading.

Wrong assumption. I didn't reprocess my images every time Lightroom was upgraded. I made the mistake of checking out some of those taken in 1998-1999. This isn't even LR5; LR4 is that good. The ones I'm processing right now (2001) were done with Photoshop. I went through (again using LR) the images very quickly marking only the best (4-5) and reprocessed them. The improvements with the Detail and Lens Correction modules alone are worth is, plus shadows clarity and vibrance.

This is from 2000 taken with a Coolpix 950.
2000-05-06-%280029c-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2000-05-06-%280029%29d-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Wrong assumption. I didn't reprocess my images every time Lightroom was upgraded. I made the mistake of checking out some of those taken in 1998-1999. This isn't even LR5; LR4 is that good. The ones I'm processing right now (2001) were done with Photoshop. I went through (again using LR) the images very quickly marking only the best (4-5) and reprocessed them. The improvements with the Detail and Lens Correction modules alone are worth is, plus shadows clarity and vibrance.

This is from 2000 taken with a Coolpix 950.
http://richgibson.smugmug.com/Other/Miscellaneous/This-n-that/i-Jmhz2d7/0/L/2000-05-06-(0029c-L.jpg

http://richgibson.smugmug.com/Other/Miscellaneous/This-n-that/i-s9sZ7fP/0/L/2000-05-06-(0029)d-L.jpg

Rich, I was just talking about myself. I know it's not practical to re-process everything every time Lightroom is upgraded - but the temptation to process at least some - is there. Especially when things like noise reduction is a huge improvement (I think it was Lr3?).

Well - at least for important images, it's nice to know that as image processing improves, they can only get better - IF needed. The photos you processed are good examples.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom