YN-560 reliability MIA

If you're considering buying these, don't unless you get them from a retailer with a sound return policy. I'm pretty sorry I bought mine, actually -- only had them for a month or so and haven't used them much.

I was hoping to use them as kicker lights, but I'm beginning to think YN stands for Y/N, as in "Yes" it will fire, "No" it won't, flip a coin. I can't get either of mine to fire by pressing the pilot light, period. I was just trying some lighting setups, playing around, and neither of them would trigger optically (in S2 mode), even when I had other non-YNs (Nikons) firing around the room. Finally gave up and swapped them out with my SB-900s to do the shoot.

When I was done, I took out the manual to see if I was doing anything wrong, and verified I was using them as documented. I did a quick test, and I couldn't get them not to fire no matter what I did. Maybe they got scared into good behavior when I showed them the manual. I was even able to trigger them with my SB-700 set to commander mode and the two YNs as the only remotes. Maybe I'll try them as paperweights, but without the batteries they might not be heavy enough.

have had no issues, have two also and they both work fine, generally fire them with rf602's

the main selling point for me is that if (when!?) dropped I am only out 1/5 or 1/6 of the price of a high end ttl flash

Just read elsewhere the YN-460 II's have a sleep mode... anyone know whether the YN-560s have such a mode, and if so, whether that could be the problem.

Just read elsewhere the YN-460 II's have a sleep mode... anyone know whether the YN-560s have such a mode, and if so, whether that could be the problem.

yes they do, you need to turn off that, even when 'turned off' they will still go to sleep after 10 mins (I believe) - instructions in manual (sorry can't remember offhand!)

Hmmm, friend and I had a little fun shooting a club activity mounting these as slaves, and neither of us had any trouble firing them on S2 mode. Perhaps yo happened to get a dud? I know the 468 I believe it was sufffered from some quality control issues, maybe it's carried over to this one too.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom