Yongnuo 622 - urgent...

Hi

I'm considering the Yongnuo 622N triggers and trying to figure out if they will do what I want.

For now I'm using a Yongnuo 568EX flash but in the future would add at least one more flash which could be any model from Nikon, Metz or Yongnuo, or whatever will be avaiable when that happens.

What I'm trying to be sure of is whether I could control one off camera flash or more (like no more than two or three) from the camera. Meaning to change zoom, power, etc. of each flash using the camera, so I don't have to physically go to each flash to change them.

One more question, in one review I've seen it mentioned that to see if it's in manual or in TTL mode, there is a light on the trigger that is either orange or gree. I'm colourblind and couldn't easily see the difference (I could side by side, but very difficult when only looking at one). Is this the only way to tell?

The thing is, if I want to get the 622N I have to order today...

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 4 of the YN-622N's.

1) What do you have as a controller? If you have an SU-800, then these might work for you. If you don't have a SU-800, but you do have a SB-910 or 900 to use as a master, then you might still be ok. If you don't have one of these to use as a master controller, I'd suggest that you probably should get the Phottix Odin.
You can control the triggers without a commander on top, but I don't recommend it. It's a pain to do.

2) The manual is correct that the LED is the only way to see if it is in M or TTL on the transmitter. If you are color-blind, that's a problem.

3) Flash zoom is controlled by the lens when you are in TTL. You can't manually control the flash zoom from the trigger.

Thank you very much.

2. I think the 622N is out for the LED colour issue. They just chose the absolute worst colours possible for colourblinds... unless I can't find anything else that is worth its cost to me.

1. I don't have any controller. Right now I have a Yongnuo 568EX flash and that's it. Using pop-up flash as commander, but want to get triggers so I'm less limited in putting the flash (and in the future probably another flash) where it would have to "see" the pop-up flash. Maybe that's a better way to look at it, start with what I want to do and look for what I need to get to do it? I really don't know much about this (and I read a lot...).

The SU-800 and Phottix Odin are more expensive than I want to spend on this. I'm intereted in compromising certain things for a lower price because it's not the most important thing. But I'll get what I need if I can't find any cheaper option...

3. When in manual mode, can I control the zoom from a controller like the Nikon or Phottix (or a Pocket Wizard)?

Thanks again

Since you don't have any controller and it appears that you are willing to work in M, consider the RF-603's and just set the zoom and power on the flash.

If you want to control the power from the camera and shoot TTL, you have a couple of options:

1) Use CLS/infrared and use the pop-up flash commander to control a CLS-compatible flash. That will work in close areas and in-doors quite well, but will have issues with range and bright sunlight (outdoors).

2) Use the YN-622's/Pixel Kings/etc to do TTL and if its the YN-622's, learn to use the trigger to control power. Lighting Rumors has a good write-up on it.

On the YN-622N's:
IF you put the transmitter in M mode (orange LED), and put the flash on another YN-622N (the receiver), and put the flash in M mode - then the trigger acts as a dumb transmitter, like the RF-603. You can control all of the manual functions on the flash of course, like zoom and power.

Thank you.

I think the LED colours are a deal breaker unfortunately. It seem that the 622N doesn't really do what I want from a trigger anyway.

I'll look at other options.

I sounds like you want a way to put all of the flashes in manual control mode, but control both the zoom and power output separately remotely from a controller. I don't know of an option to do that with any system.
If you are limited on price, just get some regular triggers and manually adjust the power and zoom at the flash. As far as I know, all of the TTL triggers will allow you to manually control the power output remotely, but the zoom of the flash will be tied to the zoom of the lens.

Thanks again!

I sounds like you want a way to put all of the flashes in manual control mode, but control both the zoom and power output separately remotely from a controller. I don't know of an option to do that with any system.
After searching more I found that the Phottix Odin does this more or less, however it is not compatible (just doesn't work) with at least one of the flashes I'll be using. If I see in the future that it really is what I need then I'll consider replacing that flash.

If you are limited on price, just get some regular triggers and manually adjust the power and zoom at the flash.
Yes, thanks, I'll probably start with that.
I don't like the Yongnuo 603 very much. What other options are there?

Latest threads

Top Bottom