Yongnuo lenses?

Real Name
Carl
Can anyone give me information about the Yongnuo AF 50mm F/1.8 lens? Quality, sharpness? How should it compare to an older, but well-kept Nikon f/1.8 D lens? Is it worth the money, or should I just look for another good, used Nikon 50 mm as a back-up?
Thanx:)

I'd just find a used Nikon 50mm 1.8 G lens. I picked up a mint used copy for $100 with box and all accessories. Check either Fred Miranda or even here on the 'cafe and post a WTB ad. The only Yongnuo lenses that might interest me for the F-mount is either their 40mm f2.8 or 100mm f/2.0 lenses. Yongnuo lenses also need the latest FW updates to function properly and last I checked a PC is required (no Mac FW software).

Also I'd consider a used Nikon 50mm 1.4 AF-D which I found discounted from some sellers. That lens still renders nicely.

I saw a review a while back comparing the Yongnuo to a Nikon 50, 1.4G or 1.8G, can't remember which. Anyhow, the Yongnuo had Auto focus inconsistency issues and wasn't quite as sharp even when it did nail focus. Because of the Auto focus issues alone, I wouldn't want one for free.

I've a YN 35/2 on the way because all I own are zooms and a 90mn macro. The 40 pancake tempted, but weight is similar on the 35 and an extra stop could make a difference. We shall see on IQ, but wall-to-wall sharpness isn't my goal.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom