Yosemite in Late May- Who knows the Park?

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by travelphotoclimber, Apr 23, 2007.

1. I have a tentative plan, but this is all flexible. What do you think? Any suggestions?

17th fly in to Fresno, stay the night in El Portal
    perhaps drive into the Park to get info.
    18th Overnight hike to Cathedral Lakes
    19th - 22nd (out) Glacier point to Merced Lake with El
    Cap if cables are up?
    22nd Hotel in El Portal to regroup and clean up.
    23rd Drive in to another area of Park and fly out of
    Fresno on evening of 23rd.

Would 3 nights be enough for the hiking I suggested?

Where would you suggest I shoot Evening of 17th near El Portal?

Where would you suggest I shoot at sunrise on the way to Tioga?

Then there is shooting sunset on the 22nd, and one last sunrise on the 23rd before going home.

Hope this is not too confusing and would appreciate any help.:smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2007
  2. Bob...does El Cap have cables or do you mean Half Dome?

If you come in through Fresno, drive to the south entrance of the park. There is a turnoff to the right that's a US Forest Service area. You can camp there for free, but you'll need a (free) fire permit if you're going to run your stove.

The campgrounds have always been full for me. I'd make reservations and/or call before counting on a camp spot inside the park that time of year.

It sounds like you'll be pushing it as far as time. I've never gone up El Cap but not sure if you meant the Half Dome cables? The Glacier Point route is nice.

Last year had way more snow, and Tioga Road was still closed mid-June. From what I hear not as much snow this year. I haven't been this year yet.

3. Thanks Jeff. Yeah I meant Half Dome. My mistake, foreign world to me.

Mid-June! :eek:  Sheesh! I had no idea it would possible be that late. My plans will all be up in the air if Tioga is closed. We shall see.

Most people say it'll likely be open...:confused: 

Thanks

4. Bob, I haven't checked on the weather this year but supposedly there wasn't nearly as much snow as last year so I think you should be ok. Check www.nps.gov/yose/wilderness for more information. It's pretty pathetic I memorize that address. It's kind of hard to find from their main site but hopefully that will help.

5. jln319

jln319

Oct 12, 2005
    SF Bay area
    As of today, Tioga is still closed. I don't remember them opening it mid May. It's usually the end of May. It's true there wasn't as much snow this year but it still gets alot. I used to get up that way quite often. Keep checking: http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/conditions.htm
    I've seen it stay closed to July/August in heavy years........

6. Thanks Jeff.

I got a suggestion to hike the north rim as an over nighter. Then the south rim as a three day hike ... that is if Tioga is still closed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.