1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Yosemite Oct 4-11 - what to bring?

Discussion in 'Special Sessions, Events, and Tour Announcements' started by Vienna Pics, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    I am heading to Yosemite October 4-11. For anyone that has been there before, can you give me your advise on what to bring?

I plan to bring:
    D300
    12-24mm f/4G
    17-55 F2.8
    70-200mm
    105mm f2.8D macro
    RRS BH-55LR
    Gitzo G1348
    Dell laptop
    Weatherproofing for camera/lens - Aquatech Sportshield
    Lowepro CompuTrekker Plus AW
    Battery charger and Sandisk 4gbIIIx2, 8gbIII, 8gbIVx2
    cleaning supplies/rocket
    1.4xtele conv.
    Moose CP warmer/NDx4
    ND filters - hard and soft

Suggestions that I need to bring any of the following?
    20mm AF f/2.8D
    35mm AF f/2D
    50mm f/1.4 AF
    300mm f2.8II and wimberly
    18-200mm F3.5-5.6 VR
    SB800
    Lowepro slingshot 300aw

2. Gosh Mark, I really wish I had a week to spend in Yosemite. All of my trips have been over long weekends. As for gear, I think your first kit willl do you fine. You'll have the wide end covered as well as the long end with your TC. When walking around there, sometimes less is more. When ever I do go, I have found that I can cover a lot of ground with just 2 lenses, my 20 and 80-200 (just food for thought). BTW, your last day there is my first full day. I'll be arriving on the evening of the 10th. When are you taking off on the 11th? Maybe we could meet up somewhere before you go. Take care and have fun.

God Bless,
    David

3. Take your 300 and flash if you have room. You never know when you'll need more length or some fill flash.

4. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    David - sent you a PM.

5. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Thanks Nate - I may take them if I have room _ have to repack the backpack and see if they fit otherwise I may be going lighter as David suggested.

6. Jon Neely

Jon Neely

Sep 1, 2008
    Fresno, Ca
    I agree with nate, when I went up there a few weeks ago, I nearly killed myself, just say I kind of over packed and I ended up using only 3 lenses. 11-16, 105, 70-300 for most the day, the other stuff just was A LOT of extra weight for me to hike with.

Pack light, that is my biggest suggestion. THe sling bag is nice for the first 2 hrs, after that your wishing you had a regular backpack with two straps.

Jon

7. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Thanks for the input Jon!

8. jcougowl

jcougowl

Apr 19, 2008
    Seattle
    Are you carrying all this stuff?

I was in Zion for 4 days two weeks ago w/ a D300, 12-24mm, 24-70 mm, 70-200mm, with a gitzo CF tripod. Carried it all down the Narrows canyon.

I only used the D300 and the 12-24mm while hiking down the river - after 17miles, I wanted my D40x back.

9. Rotogravure

Rotogravure

Jul 7, 2008
    California
    Mark,

I went the same week last year. I would take what's on your initial list plus the SB-800. In the valley you shouldn't need anything longer. I took the slingshot pack and left it in my room. Too darned heavy and awkward.

We had three days of exceptional weather and then rain. You never know what you're going to get in October.

If you're not staying at the Ahwahnee and can afford it be sure to eat there at least once. Expensive but worth it.

A worthwhile side trip out of the valley is to the Wawona Lodge. Great scenery enroute and good food.

Mike

10. I'd bring the SB-800 as others have noted, you never know when you might need it, esp. if you want some pics inside the Ahwahnee.

I'd bring the 18-200, as it would allow you to go light for trails you might not want to lug so much stuff on, or at times you weren't so much intending to take pics, but find one anyway.

11. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Will be traveling by van - I am not sure who many or how far off the road I will be going.

Thanks for the points - sounds like I will take the SB0800 and some extra batteries.

Thanks - sounds like the SB-800 is an item I need to take.. Thanks everyone. Mark

12. Well, first of all don't expect much in terms of water falls or water in the Merced River... It has been pretty dry around here lately... As well as Fall color don't expect too much in the valley either...

I would actually bring the 12-24, 18-200 and maybe the 105 micro... the 70-200 with TC would be nice if you get lucky and shoot some wildlife...

BTW Where in the valley are you going?

Send me a PM if you like...

13. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Looks like it will be in the 70s next week - will have to pack shorts and leave the cold weather stuff home. I have been watching the Yosemite NPS site - the falls are from winter snow which are long gone so, yes, :( ( the great falls are dry. I am not sure wher exactly we will be shooting - planning on staying in the cabin in the park. I saw they were going to do some burns this or last week - my luck they will burn while I am there......

14. chettrick

chettrick

Jun 12, 2008
    florida
    May be too late by now but the weather has changed and it is supposed to be down to 18 this weekend. (10-11). I will be there on the 11th. Starting in Mono lake hopefully.

15. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    The pass over to Mono Lake was closed last night as well as Glacier Point - both at the 8000 levels and heard the snow was dumping. Come home this afternoon and will get to PP after I get to see the family a little. Came through lav Vegas - it was in the 40s at the airport. Some cold front came through really fast. I was under the the second rock slide this week - will have to find some news print and post - my cabin mate had several photos published by AP and was in many newspapers. San Fran had a front page which read 'Run for your Lives!'.

16. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    I started a different thread on Yosemite - everyone forgot to tell me to bring the most important item - a hard hat!

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=192985

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.