Yosemite, Part 2

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by obelix, Apr 4, 2005.

1. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Fractured by time

[​IMG]

Smooth flowing [En route Bridal Veil falls]

[​IMG]

The capitan at sunset

[​IMG]

Spring time

[​IMG]

Half dome during sunset

[​IMG]

Half dome during sunset - 2

[​IMG]

Study of textures

[​IMG]

Critiques welcome.

2. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    #1 is my favorite artistically...very cool shot!

#7 is next...the colors are as much of the shot as the textures.

The captain and Half dome shots bring back such memories...guess Patrick and I will have to take the kids out to Yosemeti sometime REALLY SOON!

3. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Thanks again, Leigh.

I am attracted to textures and patterns, I tend to search for them wherever I go :)

Yeah, Yosemite is wonderful. However, it is very difficult when a photographer and a non-photographer visit the place together though. In your case, that won't be an issue :)

4. Beautiful images, each with it's special magic. Well done.

5. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Thanks again, Gordon.

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Great shots Anand. I've never been there although Janie and I have discussed it. Thanks for the excellent preview.

Frank

7. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Frank

You should definitely visit yosemite. Of course, you will have to go through San Francisco, so give me a holler :)

These are the easy photos, the tough ones are still waiting to be post processed.

8. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    #1 is my favorite of the series.

My only suggestion is to try & find a replacement sky for some of your shots. It's just flat & almost white, which can be a little distracting.

How many pics are left to process?

Dave

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Anand,

OK, you get mine and Janie's bosses to give us about a month off, and we'll be right there.... :lol:

Thanks again.

Frank

10. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Dave

Sure, if only I figure out how to change the sky in post processing :)) Any tips? I have seen some tips in Deke's book, should read that too.

Yeah, the sky was *exactly* like that. About 4 stops up from the nearest subject's exposure value.

I have LOTS of good waterfall shots yet to start, mainly because they are multi exposures and I have to blend them.

At 4 stops under, I can see some sky detail, but I often wonder if it is worth the pain.

11. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    :lol:

I will have another reason to go to Yosemite again!

12. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    I think there is a good section on this in the Scott Kelby book, Photoshop CS for Digital Photographers. If You don't have the book, I'll try & cover it for you.

Dave

13. Anand,

I thought you mentiond that you take few exposures of each composition. Why don't you use layers and have "original" foreground and "correctly" exposed sky merged together. Are you familiar with this technique ?

14. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Thanks Jay. I have not touched those photos yet. Yes, I am aware of this technique.

These are photos where I did not bracket :). I will take more time to post those.

15. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    That will help Dave. A small writeup definitely helps. I will hit Deke's book today. Time to learn PS.

16. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    I'll get you evertying first thing in the morning. I'll shoot you a message.

Dave

17. Great pics Anand!
    My favorites are 1 and 7. It seems that I am not the only Gothic Glow addict :lol:

As for replacing the sky, I will wait what Dave contributes and maybe add my 0.2. I have replaced skies in my pics sometimes, either by bracketing but also by adding a sky from a totally different pic and location, which may yield astonishing results.
    Like this:
    original.

18. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Wow Harry. That is awesome. Gothic glow is outstanding, isn't it? Feivel rocks.

19. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Thanks all for the constructive critiques. I went back and worked on the images.

I did this:

Since I started with RAW, I underexposed the RAW 2 stops, saved 16 bit tiffs.

In PS

- opened both
    - Copied dark over light
    - Layer - Add Layer Mask - Hide all
    - Painted with large brush, 100% hard
    - Zoomed in and painted with small brush, 70% hard

Please let me know what you think.

I am interested in the sky replacement therapy still :)

20. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Anand,

Where are the reworked images?

Frank