Yosemite - part 5, grand vistas in B&W

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by obelix, Apr 8, 2005.

1. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    No, I am not going away anywhere. This Photoshop thing is not all the difficult you know ;)

Now, tell me [without mincing words] if I did a good job.

Valley of gods

[​IMG]

Tunnel view

[​IMG]

In color,

[​IMG]

2. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    I like the color shot, but the B&W is terrific...how very "Ansel Adams" of you. The first is the best. I love how you even captured the fog up at the top left...Talk about detail...you nailed in on that one!

3. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Thanks Leigh, I have to work on the sharpening halos on the top of the mountains. I will get to it shortly and try to make it look natural.

4. They are beautiful shots. I feel that the first one has an overall greyness to it that would be enhanced by more contrast. The second image is a better conversion and looks more crisp.

5. PhotoDawg likey picy!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Good shots!! :) :)

6. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Thanks Gordon, Bryan.

Gordon, my next pass to fix halos. I will fix the grey issue next time around :)

[​IMG]

7. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    I like the use of B&W in the first two. I guess its because of my most recent B&W groove I've been in.

#1)
    I think it has a lot of potential. The mountain on the left doesn't look natural, and the transition to the sky is distracting. Did you use shadow/highlight tool on this? I've had similar results that get to be too flat & washed out.

My suggestions - Try the burn tool in PS to darken the mountain a bit. The foreground it perfect, so I'd leave that alone. Just keep working the the sky to mountain transition. It needs to be a bit smoother to look natural.

#2)
    The mountains here are much better. Just work on the sky/mountain transition & your set.

#3)
    Looks good. You may want to try and increase the contrast in the trees to help bring out some definition & detail. I'd also clone out the guard rail. There is plenty of green there to work with, so it should be fairly easy.

Your series is really starting to shine. I think a little more polishing & they will be ready for printing & sales.

Let me know if you need any help w/ the PS work. I'm more than happy to help.

Dave

8. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Thanks a tonne Dave. I am having real trouble in the sky to mountain transition area, it is abrupt.

I will email you :)

9. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    I'm free all day. Finished my prints last night & this morning, so I'm ready to enjoy the weekend.

If you have the time, we can work this out today or tonight.

Dave

10. d_ip

d_ip

Mar 18, 2005
    Alberta, Canada
    In color,

[​IMG]
    19212221-L.

Hi Anand,
    I like this one the best. I did little cropping and minor editing on it, hope you didn't mind :wink:

Shahed

11. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Shahed

Thanks a tonne, I don't mind it at all :), it looks much better now!

Now, may I ask you why the B&W photos did not work? Did you miss something?

anand

12. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    Two quick version of the first image you sent. I was mainly concentrating on the sky & mountain range. I sent you a long bloated email w/ the workflow and links to files.

My stab @ B&W
    [​IMG]

My stab @ Color
    [​IMG]

Dave

13. d_ip

d_ip

Mar 18, 2005
    Alberta, Canada
    I liked them as well, but as much as the colored one. I tried to fix it but didn't do good job.
    Thanks

[​IMG]
    19217322-L.

14. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Thanks again.

15. Henry Goh

Henry Goh

Mar 17, 2005
    Singapore
    Are you sure your name doesn't end with ADAM, like Anand Sankaran Adam = ASA = ISO? LOL.

Well done! Beautifully converted. I may send you a profile to test on these b/w shots later.

Henry

16. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    lol.

Thanks Henry. Will try the profile shortly ;). About to post my next batch of photos.

17. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My 2 tries. Got a little lazy with the masking so ignore the harsh edges & halos. Split it up into 5 layer masks - water, grass & trees, right range, left range & sky. Level and curve individually to balance the exposure & saturation.

18. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA