Yosemite

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Ron Reznick, Jun 25, 2007.

1. There are a number of images from Yosemite NP from two shoots in two different folders here:

http://www.digital-images.net/temp/Yosemite

Examples from folder #2 (click for optimum rendering):

Forest Still Life, D2x, 105 VR Micro, f/16
    [​IMG]

Lower Tenaya Creek, 17-35 AFS @ 17mm, 1 sec. @ f/11
    [​IMG]

Yosemite Falls, Morning Light, 17-35 AFS @ 17mm, f/16
    [​IMG]

Ron

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    They are all beautiful

But Im a one of those unusual folks that does not like silk water:>)))))))
    I love to see and HEAR the water..

I know silly....

3. The third is breath taking Ron! I lean towards Gale on the sliky water; it is a bit overdone now a days.

It's great to see you here. Stick around; you're among friends!

:wink:

4. Ron -

Right now, I'm very keen on #s 2 and 3 - in part because it's 88° with 52% humidity here in my part of Kansas right now.

Off to Yellowstone tomorrow before 5:00 a.m. - I'll try to use some of what I learned, and try to remember some of the info from the "firehose" that I missed at first . . .

Eric

5. Enjoy Yellowstone, Eric. Try to check out the Lamar and Hayden Valleys for wildlife. If you get to Mammoth Hot Springs, don't forget to go past it to Gardiner, MT (good place to stay, or to eat lunch), and while you're on the way to the North Entrance (at Gardiner), watch for Bighorn Sheep in the canyon or on the rock walls on the way down.

Hi Gale and Rich. As you know, many folks do get into a specific technique and milk it dry. For the most part, I do prefer seeing mountain streams and small waterfalls slowed down as it allows for a feeling of motion to the water. I have actually run a series of tests to see which shutter speeds produce the looks I like best. The 2-4 sec. region definitely does make things way too silky. I prefer the look of streams from 1/2 sec. to 1 sec., and waterfalls from 1/15 to 1/2 sec. except in situations where you want to show power, not flowing motion. In those situations, a faster shutter speed works better (example: Yosemite Falls, 1/160:
    [​IMG]

or 1/125:
    [​IMG]

from about 1/250, you begin to stop the motion of the water... by 1/500 it's mostly stopped. That can also offer interesting views. It's all about what you're looking for in the image.

Ron

6. bobarue

bobarue

Aug 9, 2005
    Louisiana
    The falls in morning light is my favorite. Really makes me want to go there. Your specialty I know, but I have to comment, lots of detail in this shot.

7. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I love that third shot. I have never been to Yosemite, but after seeing all of the glorious photos of it on the cafe, am anxious to go. The mood in that third shot is so peaceful and beautiful.

8. I thought I recognised the light on the third shot, but then I saw in the Exif that you took it a year later after my workshop with you, does it flood every year like this?

And yes it is an awesome shot....