You all helped me so much before

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Terri French, May 10, 2005.

1. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I am posting another dog picture. On this one I tried to do some of the things you suggested on the last picture of my dad's black lab. This is my sister's dog.

If you have suggestions or critiques, I would love to hear them. I do know that I blew a highlight on the left side of her face.

2. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hi Terri...

The only critique that I would have ...and it may just be me....is that I would have made the eyes the POF (point of focus...I made it up ) and it looks as though the camera grabbed a bit closer on the bridge of the nose to me.

Other than that....I like it :)

Jim

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Terri,

Please let me welcome you to the blown highlight club. :lol:

As they say, the first step in fixing the problem is to recognize that you have a problem. I fight the same thing on every shot. It is one of the toughest parts of getting really good shots to me.

OK, back to your shot. Other than the slight blown highlight (;-)), I agree with Jim, that the eyes should always be your sharpest point in the picture. One way to help this a little is to increase the aperture by one or more stops. So say you are shooting f5.6, go to f6.3 or f7.1, or even f8. If you want to stay with a narrow DOF (depth of field), then concentrate on getting the eyes as the middle of the in focus area.

Otherwise, it's a nice shot, and a really cute pooch (not quite a cute as my kitties, but close 8)).

4. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Jim and Frank

I guess as you learn and grow you learn to notice such little details. Thanks for pointing the focus problem out to me. That is how I will learn to develop an eye for tiny details. I don't think I could have done better at getting the focus point directly on the eyes, as the dog was a moving target. But I should have had the aperture set higher. It was at f4 and my dof was just too narrow. Next time I will know to watch for that. Thank you so much for your time in commenting and helping me.

5. Hi Terri, I don't know what lens you used for this picture but it makes the nose look like it is protruding from the frame. It is a really nice image and I got a kick out of it. Perhaps a longer focal length lens would put things more into perspective. Don't get me wrong, I like the picture but did want to make that one suggestion. By the way, the lighting is excellent and color saturation right on.

6. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I used my fixed 50 1.8 lens. Perhaps I should have used my kit lens for this shot. What do you think?

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Terri,

Yes, the kit lens at 70mm would reduce the 'big nose' effect. Even longer would be better, but we gotta shoot with what we got, huh? 8)