You Decide?

Discussion in 'Birds' started by frdjohns, Apr 20, 2017 at 6:30 PM.

1. These are two different birds, shot on different days, at different locations under drastically different lighting conditions. But I'm having a hard time deciding if they are different species.

1. This one was taken in morning light. Randy, Micheal and I thought it was a juvenile Yellow-crowned Night-heron.
    [​IMG]

This one, taken in evening, appears to be a juvenile Black-crowned Night-heron.
    [​IMG]

It's so hard to tell with juveniles - so I thought I'd ask the experts here. Do I have it right?

2. you know my vote
    as adults both are rare, as juvis even more rare and in such great light both times
    nice shots Fred

3. jbird

jbird

Jun 22, 2016
    Sugar Land, Texas
    I think you are right. It is amazing how much it looks like an American Bittern. We do see the adult Yellow Crowns here quite a bit. I don't think I have ever seen a juvenile though.

4. First one is definitely a juvie night heron...

5. LuisC

LuisC

Jun 9, 2009
    Florida
    Luis Casals
    very nice shots.

6. I'm pretty certain they are both killer shots, the ID'ing not sure trying to view them on my phone isn't the best for that.

7. Based on the bill, I would say they are both Black-crowned Night Herons. Yellow-crowned have a thick darkish bill while Black-crowned have a slenderer bill with quite a bit of yellow showing. Both photos are well done.