You Make the Call...

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Dave, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    He's stealing second!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Well, from that angle, it's hard to tell. The fact the second baseman tagged him on the back of his calf would make me believe his foot was at the bag first. But then, the guy's foot came off the bag and he had to tag it with his hand. What I can't tell is if the glove was still in contact with his leg after it came off the bag. It's definitely not in contact with the runner as he's tagging the bag with his hand.

3. This ump says out, eventhough it looks like he beat the throw and tag but then he slide thru the tag, went over the bag and was then called out.

4. ArtO

ArtO

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    Good series. I'd say he's out.

5. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    He was called Safe...and that is why the visiting team's manager comes out to argue...

[​IMG]

6. Great action shots Dave!
    Those guys look familiar.
    I guess I need a d300 or 700...
    Hmmm, Fred

7. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Thanks Fred. Yeah, you've probably seen them before as I think they might be in the same league as your team.

The D300 is great when you don't have to up the ISO too much. If I had a 300 f/2.8 to pair with it then it would be better as I would not have to crop as much. The D700 with a 300 f/2.8 would be perfect though, as you could up the ISO and still crop it and it would look great. One day though...

8. nice series, dave
    it's always a challenge for those umps (never perfectly in the right place to see) to get these calls right.... AT SPEED

great thread

9. Can you post an uncropped version of one of the images so I can get a better idea of how much you had to crop? Do you feel that a 300mm might be too long for a lot of your action shots on the cropped DX body? Also, since I just got a D300 and grip today and am still trying to decide which AF setting to use, could you tell which one you had the camera in? I'm assuming CH and 3D 51pt tracking? What frame rate were you shooting at?

10. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Well, the 300mm on a DX might be a bit too long for some of the actions shots as they get closer to me...but I'm not worried about that. If I had full run of the venue then the 300 would be perfect as I could move around to get the shots I want. However, I'm just a spectator at most of these games. Also, most of these places don't allow you to take a 300mm f/2.8 into their parks, although some of them do, as it's just too big. I don't use my 300 f/4 because it is f/4 and if it's an evening/night game I just can't get the SS fast enough without taking the ISO higher than I'd rather take it. I don't have the grip on my D300, but I use cH with center weighted metering, 51 point single sensor and I just move the sensor to where I want to focus. My camera is in my car right now (and I'm at work) so I can't give you all of my settings verbatim.

Here is the last shot uncropped and unedited.

[​IMG]

11. mdruiz

mdruiz

Feb 18, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    He is safe..Pic 2 the tag was not applied and neither in pic 3. 2nd basemen is in bad position to take pick off throw from catcher. Rule of thumb, on a pick off throw from catcher to 2nd base. 2nd basemen cover by running in shallow centerfield. shortstop take throw from catcher, because has better position to take catch. Shortstop also has better postion to block the base with his left foot. giving him the abilty to apply the tag.

Sorry baseball coach...

12. Looks safe to me. His foot is on the bag in front of the tag in the third pic.

Great series.

13. Hi Dave,
    This was at ISO 800 (I think the competecy limit of the D80)
    2721730742_03a3d49ea3_b.jpg
    this one at ISO 400 (much better I think)
    2721729302_2fc3b89f79_b.jpg
    So, the question is, how much more could I expect from a D300 or D700 at say ISO 3200?
    This is at ISO 1600 with a SS of 1/400s Hmmm. Fred
    2720911851_9ea67944d0_b.jpg

14. Thanks Dave. Looking at the uncropped version, I can see where a longer lens would help.

Take care,

Mike

15. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    You're right Mike...I played baseball for 15 years...I know what you mean.

Yup, he was safe. Thanks for looking Justin.

Well Fred, I think the D700 might be the way to go as it will give you cleaner shots at ISO 1600 and above. It's cleaner than the D300 anyway. I'll post some pictures here soon of high ISO at the Rome Braves game that I took this past weekend at an evening game. I was fine until the sun went down, and then the pictures went to crap with noise everywhere.

I think the D700 would pair with your D80 better. Then you can use the D80 when it's sunny and ISO is kept low and you need the reach, then go for the D700 when it gets dark and you need to get all the shutter speed you can without worrying about the ISO 3200 shots being nothing but noise. :biggrin:

Yup, a 300mm on a DX would be good...with the FX I'd probably need to go to 400mm, but I'd definitely need a 300 f/2.8 for the D700.