You Old Coot....

No, I'm not talking about you Harris.... :lol:

I have seen these guys in the hundreds as I drive around the Lake Guntersville waterways, but I've never really looked at them up close until these guys stopped by, and I decided to take a few shots. I got these the same day as the Eagle shots (last Saturday).

I was especially taken in by the red eye, and the proportionally large, web-less feet on these guys. With the gray winter coloring, sort of a drab bird, but pretty to me nonetheless.

All shot with the D2H / 300mm f/2.8, some with the the TC-17EII.

Your thoughts on how these might have been better composed or captured are welcomed. We usually don't learn without the comments and critiques of others. :eek:

15568794-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

15568833-L.jpg

Getting a drink:
15568852-L.jpg

15568837-L.jpg

Regards,

Frank

Frank - these are really excellent. I find Coots to be difficult to approach and expose. You have done very well on both counts. My only humble suggestions would be to try for a lower shooting angle, and in the last shot, to move the Coot slightly lower in the frame.

This is the best I have been able to do:
37839524.gif

Your turn to comment!

Well Rory, here are my comments.

First, your shot is very good. Well exposed on a difficult subject, and I like the water spray coming out from what looks like something in his mouth.... :)

Second, I cheated.... :oops: These guys were coming because I was tossing crackers to the gulls trying to get some flight shots, and these guys decided to join the cracker hunting party. :p That is how I got so many shot opportunities.

As to my angle, I agree, but was standing on a shore about 4 - 5 feet above some very deep water in a very large lake.... :D I would have had to hang over the edge to get any lower, and the angle just wasn't *that* important.... :D :D

Thanks for your nice comments BTW. :wink:

How was that??

Frank

Flew said:

First, your shot is very good. Well exposed on a difficult subject, and I like the water spray coming out from what looks like something in his mouth.... :)

Second, I cheated.... :oops: These guys were coming because I was tossing crackers to the gulls trying to get some flight shots, and these guys decided to join the cracker hunting party. :p That is how I got so many shot opportunities.

As to my angle, I agree, but was standing on a shore about 4 - 5 feet above some very deep water in a very large lake.... :D I would have had to hang over the edge to get any lower, and the angle just wasn't *that* important.... :D :D

How was that??

Frank

I told you all he has performing subject. He pays them crackers. 8)

I too find coots hard to photograph, probably because of the white beak and the dark feathers. I think Rory gave us all something to shoot for in coot photography. In fact in the annals of old coots photographing coots, this will go down as one of the best.

greyflash said:
I too find coots hard to photograph, probably because of the white beak and the dark feathers. I think Rory gave us all something to shoot for in coot photography. In fact in the annals of old coots photographing coots, this will go down as one of the best.

Gordon, I resemble these remarks.... :evil:

How could you even think that Rory is a bigger old coot than me?? :twisted:

Frank

Flew said:

How was that??

Frank

Pretty darn good!

Sheesh - all this time I could have been bribing my subjects! I know what you mean about it being tough to get low shooting angles.

Latest threads

Top Bottom