You otter check out these pics.

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by Slingher, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Slingher

Slingher

Jun 30, 2007
    Titusville FL
    At Viera Wetlands in Florida, there are a few otters (I have seen 3 different otters). There is a female and nearly grown pup that I see somewhat often and another lone otter that I have seen a few times (I assume its a male, female otters will have nothing to do with the male while she is pregnant or raising young)

Not sure if I am lucky or just persistent when it comes to spotting the otters. Sometimes if it isn't windy I can find them by scanning the pickerel weeds and looking for movement of the plants. If I spot them I will sit there and watch where they go, never actually seeing them but knowing that the movement of the pickerel IS the otters. Sometimes it will take an hour before they get close to the edge where I can see and photograph them. I also know where they like to come out so I can ready myself if I see them moving in that direction. Sometimes I drive up and they are already in their favorite stump. One time they walked right up to the road and took a dirt bath for about 30 minutes and then fell asleep right there on the road! Luck or perserverance, I have quite a few otter shots. Here are a few.

In their favorite stump
    large.

View attachment 106743

Taking a dirt bath on the road in front of me... wished it had of been behind me, sun was awful.
    View attachment 106744

While they slept on road I slipped out of my car and made my way around them to better light. Was downhill from them and they woke and looked down at me.

View attachment 106745

2. Cute! Which lens?

3. Slingher

Slingher

Jun 30, 2007
    Titusville FL
    I was using a D50 with a 70-300mm, nothing fancy.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thats to cool:))))
    You will have to teach me a few thing about them . They are just so cute.
    I have seen them a few times and have some pics.

See ya Sunday I hope

Adorable images

5. Beautiful! I love the low viewpoint of the last shot.

Alan

6. lbhs_rwb

lbhs_rwb

Oct 16, 2006
    Florida
    I love otters =]

7. Awwww, otters are so adorable! Nice shots too!

8. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    WOW!! Love the "grumpy" face on image #1, the otter on the right with his 2 "antenna" sticking up! Very good images!

9. VoidRaven

VoidRaven

Jul 13, 2006
    Lagrange, OH
    Wonderful that you have the opportunity to capture shots of them in the "wild". I like the shot of the two of them in the tree stump the best.