1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Critique You thought Christmas was over?

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Mike Buckley, Jan 6, 2019.

1. The couple that loaned me their peppercorn grinder displayed at Critique - Brass Peppercorn Grinder also sent my wife and me the Christmas card shown below this year. We had already been using the Christmas tree balls and beads in our holiday table's centerpiece, so it was a no-brainer to add their gorgeous card to the table and then photograph part of the centerpiece. Their Christmas card will be included in our centerpiece for the Christmas season from now on.

Setup
    The tabletop and background are a single sheet of mottled blue-grey art paper. A small continuous-light lamp above and on the right was fitted with an oversized diffusion sock to create larger direct reflections in the beads.

Mike 2019-01-06--002-S.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Well, it is the 12th day of Christmas . .. . :D 

Nicely done. Gray-scale seems so appropriate.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Thanks, Nick!

Indeed, today is the first Sunday of the New Year, which is the Christmas Feast day for which Bach intended the fifth cantata from his Christmas Oratorio to be performed. My wife and I like all six cantatas so much that we played them on separate days of Christmas week. Another way of putting it is that we beat Bach to the punch! :) 

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  4. Excellent b&w evocation of the season, Mike!
    Which in itself deserves extra "points", I think, because warm colours would seem to be the obvious way to picture this.
    Great composition and use of light!

5. Thanks, Bart!

Actually, the only non-monochrome tones in the scene are in the tabletop and background; it really was a no-brainer to go with monochrome.

6. Great image Mike. I love your design and your choice of BG.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.