Young Artists

Discussion in 'People' started by greyflash, Apr 12, 2005.

1. I have a project working to take pictures of young artists in the neighborhood. I give them a free photograph to pose for me. Keep in mind that I do not have a studio so the images were made with natural light and bounce flash in my home. Here are the first two.

Liza - flute

Liza #2 - flute

Chris - Violin

2. Nice shots Gordon!!

Whenever I see a flute player I always think of my father-in-law. He played many musical instrument, but had the hardest time playing the flute. He said he just didn't have the lips for it. :lol: :lol:

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hi gordon,

Be tough for me being a novice to critique.

This is how I see them.

The first looks kinda phoney blowing into the flute and the right hand blurred and may be a bit blown.
    Not sure I personally like that shot so close.

I really like the second one alot although I am not thrilled with the top of head and bottom so close cropped.

The third is ok. however I think I would have him turned him just a bit.

I just may not know how to SEE Gordon. What is right in protraits, I am not sure.

So tell me a little of how and why you chose what you did and maybe I can understand better.

I may need to learn not think "traditional".

I am reading a book on how to see creatively.

So maybe you can help out.

I did try a couple of different angle shots of the building I work in today. But to tired to even look at them.

4. Excellent comments Gale, I appreciate that. You are right about the hand and I should have burned it in some. I will do so in the final print. As for blowing into the flute looking phoney, this could only be because you have never played the flute. She is an outstanding flutist and was actually playing at the time I took the image. I used controlled DOF to focus the attention on the lips and eyes of the flutist and let the opposite end of the flute and hands go out of focus to de-emphasise them. For the second image close cropping like that is becoming more the norm rather than the exception for many of today's images. I'm glad you like it.

The young man's image I am also not too thrilled with it. I was working within the constraints of my home which does not have hardly any blank walls and so I was trying to capture the OOF image behind the boy as sort of a backdrop. Didn't work too well did it? I have some other views but I like them even less. Would be nice to have a studio and some backdrops. Perhaps I will have to resort to outside shots.

In any even thanks for your honest comments.

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gordon,

These are just great shots. I am so envious of your technical knowledge and experience. All I can say is, by the time I get to your age (in just a few years actually....;-)), I hope that I am half as accomplished.... :lol:

Regards,

Frank

6. Thanks Frank but you already have many skills and your bird images are getting better and better as the days go on. I appreciate your kind words.