Young monks. Color or B&W?

Discussion in 'People' started by Ray C., Apr 5, 2007.

1. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    Can't decide which way to go with these. Thoughts?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. both are great. at first i thought color but i'm liking the b/w more as i look at them. verry nice!

3. Seth

Seth

Jun 6, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Tough call! I can see why you are asking for opinions, I like the color best I think, but the B/W looks great as well.

4. I think the first one works great also in B/W because of the peaceful mood. But otherwise I would say color, as I really like the contrast of the orange to their dark skin.

5. I would go with the color versions. You have some blown highlights in the 2nd BW image. Great shots!!

6. I prefer the color, and number one is a clear winner for me!

7. Color all the way......#1 for me as well

8. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    Thanks guys, it looks like color gets the nod. I'll post some more when I finish the project. Thanks again.

9. Dave_Canada

Dave_Canada Guest

I love the first one in color and the second works better in B&W with the natural
    light hitting the face.. but i've always been a non conformist :wink:

10. Prefer the B/W images, though the colours are great!

I feel their faces are more the focal point in the B/W versions, as the orange colour of their robes makes my eye wander from their faces slightly...........

G

11. I like the first one in colour. the orange is amazing. I think the second works in either colour or B/W. Great Photos!!

Sarah

12. I also like #1 in color and #2 in B&W better.

13. All excellent, though I prefer the color!

14. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Geeze...both approaches are good. The color really works as the monk's robe color is so intense in the shots but the B&W are processed to look almost like polished luminescent stone sculpture.

15. Nice captures Ray.

I like the color.

16. I think color works best.

Paul.

17. RForshey

RForshey Guest

Great job on these, very elegant. I prefer the color versions. The various shades and tones are just too nice for black and white (in my opinion)..

18. racerx1

racerx1

Jan 13, 2006
    northern NJ
    In general I prefer the color versions. The orange robe is so symbolic of monks, that without it there seems to be something missing in the "story". In the second pic, the green paper is a bit distracting - it was the first thing that caught my eye, rather than the subject.