1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Young Piping Plover

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Allan, Jul 4, 2008.

1. I don't know the age of this bird but it is older than I hoped to find. I had less luck this year than in the past as more of the beach area has been roped off during the nesting season. This was taken at extreme low tide; the baby was part of a group of 6 piping plovers.

However, my main concern is the cloudy condition I found when I arrived at the beach an hour before sunset. These were taken at 1/400 5.6 at iso 1000 due to the darkening sky. Nikon D300 400 2.8VR with 1.7 tc.

325524295_Utbry-L.

325524323_MfK5t-L.

2. Looks really good for the conditions Allan!

3. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    Nice capture, love the dof.

4. DW Brewer

DW Brewer Guest

Excellent results, especially given the exposure conditions!

5. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    killer backgrounds Allan

6. Great shots both, nicely done.

7. Thanks for the compliments. I do think piping plovers are about the cutest of shorebirds.

I had the tripod splayed all the way open - only way for me to get low. The background of sand and water did come out well with limited dof.

I have to work a bit more to keep the sharpness while eliminating the halos around the beak.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2008
  8. I did a re-working on one of them.

327350734_94zYK-L.

9. Great captures Allan. So cute.

10. What a cutie .

Great shots

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.