1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

YOUR Awkward to get photos!

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by underitall, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Please can you show us YOUR shots of when its been hard or awkward to focus, because of the situation, and the reason why.
    Mine is this, its a conveyor, and it was swaying side to side a bit!
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2008
  2. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Hi Tom, firstly I’d like to say that this is great idea for a thread and I am confident that in time it will highlight what a bunch of idiots us photographers are as we go to progressively extreme lengths to get ‘the shot’. I like your image, the rusting metal has a great texture to it. Although it does make me very curious as to why you were up on top of a conveyor in the first place!

This is the image I’ve chosen, it’s taken from the front of a moving canal barge as it passed through a tunnel. It was difficult because of the movement and near total lack of light none of the cameras automatic features weren’t any use at all. It was simply too dark for metering and autofocus and so I had to make do with manual focus and guesswork metering. In addition to this I could hardly see the controls of the camera and there were all sorts of leaks in the roof of the tunnel which meant that my camera and I kept getting soaked with cold water.

I can honestly say it’s the most complex photo I’ve ever had to take!

[​IMG]

3. But certainly worth it, thanks.
    Yeha, it was at a disused(or not, it was a couple years before, so i was told) quarry, and i like disused places, buildings and that, so, well.
    Either way, thanks for posting it.

4. It was an overcast day, in a shaded corner of a courtyard, which made hand-holding the camera impossible (unless I wanted to use flash or a faster ISO, which I didn't), and I was using my new tripod for the first time. To make matters worse, the only way to get this angle on this "Bleeding Heart" flower was to shoot through an opening in a very low concrete wall. To make matters even worse, there were quite a few people walking past me in the narrow, approximately three feet wide, walkway (there was a building on the other side.)

So, picture me in a narrow walkway, tripod legs nearly flat on the ground, center post bringing the camera even closer to the walkway, lens actually IN the opening, and then the position I'm in, cheek nearly on the ground, while trying to focus on a flower that is about half an inch wide, while people are trying to walk around me.

DSC_1617-web.

Not to mention that, due to the limitations of my knowledge of the tripod at the time, I couldn't shoot horizontally: This shot is cropped.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2008
  5. The tripod was straddling a log, center post resting on it. One leg was touching soil, another was thrust through branches but not touching ground, and the third was dangling just above the water. I also had very little substance on which to sit or stand, myself.

I didn't yet have a remote, so I had to trigger the camera by hand and then hold it and myself motionless for the long exposure (It was either 1/2 or 1/3 of a second.)

DSC_1069-web2copy2.

6. Thanks eev, another Hard to get, but cetainly worth it shot, thanks.

7. InLimbo87

InLimbo87

Jul 30, 2008
    Orlando, Fl
    This one was quite hard to get. Since I used the remote and we both climbed up there for the pic :tongue:

WaterfallPic.
    NIKON D40    ---    95mm    f/13.0    1/20s    ISO 200

Wasn't impressed with how the pic turned out. I just couldn't seem to get it right with the lighting, but I still enjoy looking at the pic regardless remembering how big of a PITA it was to get it (the remote really gets some good distance)...

8. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    is that with the nikon remote or 3rd party?

9. InLimbo87

InLimbo87

Jul 30, 2008
    Orlando, Fl
    That was with the Nikon remote. The range has been pretty impressive with it so far IMO.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.