Your darkroom is now a Google data center

you might title it "Why I hate Google" and I do , more and more every day.

Been using Nik define since Nov 2010 on various computers as a photoshop plug in. Google bought Nik a few months back. The back up died last week and I replaced it a new Mac Pro and Eizo.
So now I am trying to get it all running, LR & PS are installed. Define 2 will not install and be accessible from the original disk in PS, LR ok. So I tried to download it which I did for the last few CS6 installations, now deactivated.

Now I can only download the entire collection which I do not want. I took it as a trial and figured I could use my registration # to activate Define 2 portion.
That does not work.

I got one of my middle of the night brilliance flashes last night. Copy define 2 from the plugin folder from the old computer to the new with my little portable Seagate USB powered portable HD. It worked. I out foxed `em. Of course you could burn a CD or use a flash drive or memory card from your camera.

Then there is sign up for Google mail, Google Chrome, Google glasses, google everything. Soon there will be a Google camera on the TV and a Google GPS so they can track every time you eat a doughnut. Bunch of money grubbing spies. I will not even use Google search anymore unless I am desperate. Start page.com, ask.com. and a few others.

Google reports everything to the government so you end up on who knows what lists in the giant government spy network. You do know about the giant data storage facility in the middle of the Nevada desert. Big enough to keep 100 years worth of data on everyone, all 300 million.

Read about the two fishing boats near Florida. One forgot ice for the beer. so he ran a mile to the other and they were transferring bags from one to the other. Coast Guard showed inside minutes and followed them the rest of the day. NO radio communication was ever made between the boats. That leaves drones or spy satellites. Cameras are everywhere.

You say nothing to worry about if you do nothing wrong. Wrong. They misuse data and make mistakes because the collection is so vast and uncontrolled. Then the man comes knocking at your door if you are lucky. If not , they show at 4 AM and just bust in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's a double-edged sword for sure. On one hand, Google maps and Street View is indispensable (not just for travel but genealogical research). The trick is not being signed in when you search, if that matters.

And it is true surveillance is getting really creepy ("1984" a bit late). The Soviets would have loved facebook and Google darkroom!

As for the new Nik bundle, I'm glad you found a workaround, though you should have qualified for a free upgrade, no? Or is just the thought of using the Google branded bundle distasteful?

The cloud does concern me greatly in general, which is why I refuse to use any cloud service for storing files.

There seems to be a long term push to get everyone to voluntarily put their info and data on public servers whether its facebook or a cloud backup service. At some point in the future, how easy would it be for a simple law to be passed in vague language that allows the government to essentially index all of this info and data to search on a whim without any evidence to back it up? We saw similar stuff in the US after 9/11 with the patriot act and at the end of 2011 with the NDAA. Take note each time some attack happens and which civil rights are eroded right after. It feels like its slowly creeping towards a complete police state and we seem to gladly accept it.

The cloud does concern me greatly in general, which is why I refuse to use any cloud service for storing files.

There seems to be a long term push to get everyone to voluntarily put their info and data on public servers whether its facebook or a cloud backup service. At some point in the future, how easy would it be for a simple law to be passed in vague language that allows the government to essentially index all of this info and data to search on a whim without any evidence to back it up? We saw similar stuff in the US after 9/11 with the patriot act and at the end of 2011 with the NDAA. Take note each time some attack happens and which civil rights are eroded right after. It feels like its slowly creeping towards a complete police state and we seem to gladly accept it.
The military call it mission creep.

In civilian life it is called unconstitutional.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom