Your experience with Color Modes?

Hi there,

I'm wondering what others have concluded regarding differences among color modes I, II, and III.

For my part (always within Adobe RGB color space; I don't use sRGB), I originally was using color mode II as my default, switching to mode I for portraits. This was based on Nikon's description in the manual (page 70), which asserts that mode II is best for images that will be extensively post processed, while mode I is for portraits and mode III for landscapes and nature.

However, I have found that my results with mode II have been consistently far too yellow, always having to correct color balance in PS by adding significant blue to midtones. For me, this has made mode II unsuitable for landscapes, with grass and foliage always needing extensive corrections.

Thus, I believe I will settle on mode I as my default, sometimes switching to mode III for landscapes. (Mode III seems to bump up the green saturation somewhat, but otherwise has a similar color balance to mode I.)

Is my experience consistent with what others are finding?

Best wishes,

David

I've used Adobe RGB Mode II for everything since I settled on that long ago. I just got my D2X and the upgrade to PS CS2 (with Adobe Raw update 3.1 for the NEF files), and I'm having the first real color problems I've experienced since I began profiling my monitor and printer. The images I see in PS on my screen are not the same colors as I see when I upload to the web. I'm working on that issue now.

David,

Sorry I'm so late to the conversation, but decided to add to this thread rather than start a new one. My experience is the same as yours. I used to use Mode II on my D2h, but have found AdobeRGB II colors off on the D2x and am thinking of using AdobeRGB I and III (for people and nature respectively). Mode I does seem a bit yellow, but I need to do more testing.

This could be a very informative thread. I will be watching from the sidelines though. I process with Raw Magick and my choice of color modes and space on camera is for different reasons and has no bearing on output from RM.

David

I shoot all of my wildlife and landscape / scenics / sunrises / sunsets in Color Mode III and I find that it really does capture what my eye sees very faithfully.

I find mode II to be way under saturated from what my eyes see.

Interesting to see that this thread has been resusitated. When I started it last May I had decided on a switch from Mode II to Mode I (in Adobe RGB space), and I have stuck with Mode I ever since.

After seeing Jim's and others' comments, I think I should do some more experimentation with Mode III for landscapes. (Mode II has been unsatisfactory for me, as stated.)

Best wishes,

David

Yeah - interesting thread alright ...

I use RAW always and Mode I

I find the colours appealing and close to what I want as a final result.

Re: David

jfenton said:
I shoot all of my wildlife and landscape / scenics / sunrises / sunsets in Color Mode III and I find that it really does capture what my eye sees very faithfully.

I find mode II to be way under saturated from what my eyes see.

Jim,

We've been looking at Velvia too long :)

I’ve done more testing and have come to the following conclusions in no particular order:

1 – Mode II on the D2H is not the same as Mode II on the D2x
2 – Mode II is too yellow, but is better with hue –3
3 – Mode I is too red, but is better with hue +3
4 – The is extremely little difference between certain settings (like Mode II vs Mode I hue +3), but it is still noticeable (slightly less yellow)

So for my people photographs, I’ll be using Mode I with Hue +3. I need to do further testing on nature/landscape shots comparing Mode II to Mode III. That’s tonight’s project.

Latest threads

Top Bottom