Your Favorite Old AF-D Lens?

OK then,
Better share an image with the lens.
(having a bit of issues accessing them - Zenfolio is acting up. Again)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

OK then,
Better share an image with the lens.
(having a bit of issues accessing them - Zenfolio is acting up. Again)

View attachment 1669055
Beautiful magnolia.(y)

Share an image with the 105/f2 DC,wide open. (my granddaughter,2 years old).

Real Name
David
80-200/2.8D

Only got rid of it because I had some applications where VR was needed......
I like the is as well, enough that I owned 2 or 3 of them. I went back and forth between the 80-200D, the 70-200 vr1, and the original small 50-150 DX. Part of that was VR or not to VR; part was size and weight; and part was I was going to go FX, then didn't, then did.
Does the NIKKOR 180mm f/2.8D count?
If so, that's my favourite.
The only D I have as well :)
The 180 was my lighter weight option when 1st went FX.
WOW, I like #4 best.
Thanks

This thread caused me to have a bit of good fortune. I had an old 35 f2 D lens that I bought used a long time ago, back when I was fairly new to photography. A few years ago the lens seemed broken. I can't even remember what made me think it was broken, now. But it has been sitting in a drawer for a long time. When I was packing for the weekend getaway that we had this weekend, I decided to put it as well as the D610 in our 5th Wheel since I had thought about that lens after reading this thread. I tried out the lens and it seemed to work perfectly. I'll give it out some further testing. I have hardly used the D610 since I got my Z6, and I've sold several lenses that I used on it, but I will keep the 35 f2 and see if it continues to work.

I'm really starting to get blown away by my $40 USD 28-85mm AF lens. It's not a perfect lens, it has terrible minimum focus, OOF areas create hexagon bokeh, it flares towards the sunlight and corners vignette and are soft. Saying that it's so sharp and at 85mm there's a dreamy haze that you'll never see in a modern lens. I can't help but fall for the subtle rendering this lens has to offer! I'm now curious of other forgotten AF/AF-D lenses that exhibit similar rendering.

A few more with the D750 + 28-85mm AF:
50289319797_b7f202accb_h.jpg
Los Angeles Old Zoo - Griffith Park - Los Angeles, California USA
by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

50288448908_024985b09a_h.jpg

50288458638_1519d0df23_h.jpg

Mine is a 50mm f1.4 D. Works great on my FM.
I recently bought a used Nikon 50mm 1.4 D online, it should arrive next week. I didn't care for the lens all that much before (owned it previously), but I tried one out in the store and actually preferred it over the 50mm 1.8 G I currently have. It's soft and has strong CA, but my post processing has improved and I'm after more classic rendering nowadays. I'll post some pictures when it arrives!

Last edited:
I recently started using my 105mm F2.8 AFD micro again as the 60mm lens was showing some CA with high contrast subjects, and I needed more working distance. Some resupinate (crust) fungi:

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
I recently sold my 85 f1.4 D and am still having some remorse about that. I'm seriously thinking about upgrading to the 85 f1.8 S lens. I also had a used 35 f2 D lens that I loved, but it broke and I never got it fixed. So I am currently without a D lens.

PS When I was getting started in photography, members here helped me out so much. Wade contacted me and offered to send me his 85 f1.4 D to try out. I was so surprised that he would make such a generous offer. I took him up on it and loved the lens, so I bought my own.
Yes, I loaned it to one other individual, and ended up selling it about 5 years ago to him. I still regret it! It was a sweet lens.

I probably miss my 180mm f2.8 ED AF most though, followed by the 85 1.4, and my 50 1.4 and 35mm f2. Was a sweet set of lenses I used a lot back in the mid 2000s.

Yes, I loaned it to one other individual, and ended up selling it about 5 years ago to him. I still regret it! It was a sweet lens.

I probably miss my 180mm f2.8 ED AF most though, followed by the 85 1.4, and my 50 1.4 and 35mm f2. Was a sweet set of lenses I used a lot back in the mid 2000s.
I'm still having a bit of regret about selling mine as well.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom