Your favorite Photo Image?

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by W.Ray, Jul 29, 2008.

1. What is your all time favorite photograph? This is "Ascent of Attic Angles" by Edward Weston. Bar none this is my favorite all time photograph. For me it has superlative composition, lighting and above all a wonderful sense of mystery. If I had several hundred thousand dollars to spare I would buy a copy. I went to a photo exhibit of Weston's images last year but unfortunately this image was not included!:frown:

[​IMG]

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I'm gonna have to think on this Ray. There are so many!

(But for me, it's probably not Weston.)

I would not want it on my wall, but this image by Susan Meiselas has stuck with me since I saw it many years ago. Likewise this picture by David Wojnarowicz to be equally jarring.

These two photos have more raw impact than any others I have encountered.

3. Yeah, I guess I should have been more explicit. I was thinking more of something that you would like to own and hang on a wall. Here's one I do have hanging in my living room:
    http://www.intangible.org/Features/Quick/Studies/Studiessub01.html

Carousel.

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I'd probably hang the Wojnarowicz. I don't go for a lot of pretty pictures, as you may have guessed. I like to be awestruck by art. I'll give some ... happier stuff some thought.

5. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    My next one

Gregory

6. Robert Doisneau's Le Baiser de l'Htel de Ville
    44930edee3f86_s.

7. Brad, Doisneau's great! I really like this image, too.

8. While I can appreciate it's artistic qualities, if folks are paying several hundred thousand dollars for a copy of this, it's proof there are people out there with more money than common sense. I'm guessing folks are paying for the name. Personally, I just don't "get it". Sure as heck wouldn't pay any money for it.

9. Thank you for your enlightened input. Please notice that I originally posted asking folks about their favorite photograph not go off on an opinionated diatribe about the worth of any images. The art market will determine that I would think!

10. Excuse me, please. No need to get all ****y about it.

11. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    The personal value of any particular work of art is a very personal thing. The monetary value, on the other hand, is determined by what the market will pay. Weston prints have long commanded high prices. He is widely recognized as a master of abstract photography. Nearly everyone recognizes his nautilus shell or sensuous bell pepper, even if they do not know who shot them.

Is there anyone's work that you do like Medic? I'll bet there is. Every photographer has seen many images by the time they pick up a camera themselves.

12. I'm not sure I could pick one, but if I had to try, I'd start in Bradford Washburn's mountain landscapes. We exhibited some humongous prints made from his negatives, and standing in the gallery, you felt you might fall into the frame. To think that he froze his keister off in the open door of a little plane at 20,000 feet, shooting these with a large format camera - and then he went off and planned mountaineering expeditions and climbing routes based on what he saw in the shots....makes me feel pretty pathetic!

Sean

13. Those ARE some amazingly beautiful shots. :smile:

14. Ray, my all time favourite photographer has to be Don McCullin....... an English photojournalist who has covered many wars (Vietnam etc) and several events in Africa (famines/genocide etc).

For me, it is too difficult to pick just one of his photographs........ and for that my friend......... I apologise! :redface:

G

15. JD.

Don't know anything about his (Dennis Stock) other work, but when I saw the title of this thread, this is the first one that came to mind.
    And no, I'm not a big James Dean fan.

*edit* just checked out Sean's link, and I gotta say...wow *edit*

16. I 'grew up' on Photo.net and I always loved this shot by Tony Dummett...
    147795-lg.
    I must tell you though, there is no way I could have a 'favorite' photo...

17. Here are two that come to mind immediately. When I first started out in photography, many years ago, I was fortunate enough to have an art teacher who gave me a copy of The Americans by Robert Frank. It literally changed the way I looked at things through a viewfinder.

View attachment 230268

18. As you can see, after all these years, I am still trying to imitate the guy. Without much success, I might add. :smile:

The first one was shot just a couple of years ago in downtown Dallas with a Nikon D2H

The second one was shot, at high noon, over a decade ago in a honky tonk in Fort Worth. The camera was an Olympus XA and the film was Tri-X.

View attachment 230270

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.