Your Favorite Photographers

My idol is Jim Fenton. My main goal in my new hobby is to learn birds in flight. Mike

Real Name
Ken St John
I have three who I am very impressed by. Ansel Adams, of course.

I pretty much got my start many years ago by trying to emulate the late Josef Scalea who was a newspaper photographer with the Seattle Times. (Some shots remain available at http://www.seattlegallery.com/)

But, I really learned a lot from working side by side with a PJ in Japan named Michael Stanley. (http://www.mejstanley.com/) His work in so many different areas is remarkable.

Cheers!!

Ken

Ansel Adams, John Sexton, Edward Weston, Eliot Porter, Galen Rowell, Jim Bones......

Okay everyone... here's a couple more photographers I was introduced to over the last little while. They both have galleries close by my house and it was amazing to see their pictures.

David C. Schultz (westlight.net)
John and Debora Scanlan (scanlan.com)

Also, Thomas D. Mangelsen has a gallery close by, and I loved his stuff too.

Many of the photographers I enjoy have already been mentioned... but I'll try to add two others, radically different in what they did, but both of great artistic interest to me.

I've always enjoyed the portraiture of Yousef Karsh. His work of Churchill is very well known, but also see his portraits of Earl Warren, Albert Schweitzer, the Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr., or Boris Karloff. Karsh may not be part of the current avant-garde of the photographic world, but his portraits of some of the great men and women of the twentieth century are in some ways the definitive memory of those people for many.

For sheer imaginative vision when the photos were taken, one needs to look at the work of Man Ray. Man Ray was a part of the Dada and Surrealist movements, which, quaint as some of the work appears today, were ground-shaking in their time.

John P.

Noone in particular, but since I also want to know a bit more than usual about the person who created the photos I choose one whom I know personally: Willy Puchner.

Cheers

for landscape :

Charlie Waite
Paul Caponingro (sp?)
Galen Rowell
Ansel

for street/ candid

Brassai
Cartier-Bresson
Dosineau
Atget
Steigletz
Steichen

Real Name
Chris
These are a few living photographers whose work and/or attitude toward their photography that I like: Ralph Gibson, Cindy Sherman, Jill Greenberg, Timothy Greenfield-Sanders, Nenad Bojic, Jerry Uelsmann, Elliot Erwitt, Rick Waldroup, Sally Mann, Duane Michaels, RFC, Susan Meiselas, Zeke Berman and many others that I cannot think of their names right now. If you think they are diverse, you should see my picks for dead photographers!

Latest threads

Top Bottom