Share Your Favorite Photography Myths, Misnomers and the Like

Let us know your favorite myths, misnomers and the like!

I was reminded just today of the so-called rule that says not to place the horizon in the middle of the frame. Famous Nat Geo photographer Sam Abell makes a point of doing exactly that. I heard a presentation he made at Nat Geo headquarters years ago explaining that it's a favorite style for him.

Interesting idea for a thread.
I think almost all rules can be thrown out by a true artist. The rules help us less talented learn what the art field expects, especially judges and gallery owners. I was once told to learn the rules of composition because you could not break a rule if you did not know what the rule was.
My personal favorite myth was: Want to take a better picture, you need a better camera.
The equipment rarely makes any difference. Once you get to the point that the equipment actually can make a difference, you are a good enough photographer to know exactly what you need, and why.
Gary

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Don't chimp.
I always do.
I hadn't heard of that one. It's a good thing because I always chimp when using a DSLR at least to evaluate the histogram and for other reasons as needed. I chimp less with my Z6 but only because of the information a mirrorless camera provides before capturing the image that is provided by a DSLR only after capturing it.

I really miss his photography. He and his wife Barbara died in a plane crash in 2002 shortly before she was to make her own photography presentation at Nat Geo headquarters. My wife and I had tickets to attend. He was only 62 and she was only 54.
He was one of my favorite photographers. I have several of his books and still enjoy looking through them now and then.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
How about, "You only need a smart phone to make great pictures these days!"
That's actually true. I've seen many great pictures made using a cell phone. If your only goal is to make great pictures, it can be done using only a cell phone. All kinds of photography can't be made using a cell phone, but some kinds can be done really well.

That's actually true. I've seen many great pictures made using a cell phone. If your only goal is to make great pictures, it can be done using only a cell phone. All kinds of photography can't be made using a cell phone, but some kinds can be done really well.
Sorry, Nick. I have to agree with Mike.
I think you missed the word "ONLY" in my post!

I've gotten some interesting shots with my iPhones through the years.....nothing worth hanging on a wall, maybe, but still reasonably good nonetheless. That said, I don't set out to walk around the lake to shoot the herons or cormorants with my iPhone.... I have had fun using it as a close-up or macro lens at times, as it's more maneuverable in small spaces than the regular camera and macro lens might be, and it works nicely for abstracts and the kinds of images where one moves the camera around while using a slow shutter speed.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom